Banking Partner, New York
“I have more than 30 years’ experience advising on banking and financing transactions in the U.S. and in Latin America. Drawing on my extensive knowledge of the full range of legal structures, I focus on finding the best solutions in each deal to help clients efficiently achieve their commercial objectives.”
Education and qualifications
Michael is a banking partner in Linklaters' New York office. He represents banks, insurance companies, funds, Export Credit Agencies (ECAs), development banks, equity sponsors, companies and investors on complex financing transactions involving acquisitions, securitisations, project development and trade-related and general corporate financings.
Michael has particular expertise in energy-related infrastructure project financings, including advising sponsors, operators and U.S. investors on a wide range of transactions involving offshore oil and gas exploration and production facilities (including ultra-deep water drilling vessels, semi-submersibles, floating production storage and offloading units (FPSOs), floating storage and offloading units (FSOs), gas processing facilities, liquefied natural gas (LNG) carriers, shuttle tankers and other offshore assets).
Michael is a core member of the team leading the expansion of the firm’s business in Latin America. He frequently travels to many countries in Latin America and is often based in the firm’s São Paulo office.
Michael is ranked in Euromoney’s Banking, Finance and Transactional 2022 Expert Guide under Banking & Finance, which recognize individuals considered by peers and clients to be the best in their respective fields in the legal industry. Michael has also been recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” in Banking & Finance in Chambers USA 2018 and was recognized in Legal 500 Latin America 2017. He is a member of the American College of Investment Counsel.
Michael has led on many major financing deals, including:
- Victoria International Container Terminal Limited: advising this issuer on the AUD 400m private placement of senior secured notes for the refinancing of its existing bank debt and financing of the first phase of an expansion for its facility at the Port of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
- Valley Holdings Inc: advising Bank of America, N.A., as joint lead arranger and administrative agent, on a US$100m refinancing transaction.
- Banco Santander-Chile: advising on a New York law governed US$50m term loan agreement granted to Ultranav Denmark ApS, a private limited liability company organized under the laws of Denmark.
- Norte II 433MW: advising on the refinancing of the combined cycle gas turbine project in Mexico through a U.S. private placementpursuant to Section 4(a)(2) that included a dual export credit agency covered offering and an uncovered offering with a total value in excess of US$400m.
- ENGIE Energía Perú S.A.: advising one of the leaders in energy generation and transmission in Peru, on a US$300m credit facility provided by IDB Invest and IDB by the Inter-American Development Bank, acting through certain subsidiaries.
- Tereftalicos Industria e Participacoes Ltda: advising Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited on the acquisition financing transaction of 100% shares in Oxiteno S.A. – Industria e Comercio by a Brazilian company as borrower, from Ultrapar Participacoes S.A. as seller.
- Hortifrut Limited: advising the Irish subsidiary of Hortifrut S.A., world leader in berries production and marketing, on the US$150m term loan facility provided by Cooperative Rabobank U.A. (Rabobank) under an Unsecured Term Loan Agreement; and the US$100m syndicated term loan facility provided by Banco Santander Chile S.A. under a Credit Agreement.
- Viterra Limited: advised Viterra and certain of its subsidiaries on a US$2.5bn revolving facility by CoBank and other lenders
- Citigroup Global Markers Inc. and Banco Santander S.A.as joint lead arrangers and bookrunners, and a syndicate of lenders: advising on a US$400m senior unsecured term loan facility to Volcan Compañía Minera S.A.A.
- Glencore AG: advising on a prepayment facility and offtake agreement for the receipt of mined cobalt from Missouri Cobalt Holding, LLC.
Michael is a member of the American College of Investment Counsel, a trade organisation for the U.S. investment private placement community.
Michael regularly speaks at conferences, including at the Bonds, Loans & Derivatives conference, organised by GFC Media Group, Mexico City, September 2016 (on financing options), at the Americas Forum conference, organised by the American Bar Association (ABA), in Bogotá, Colombia, November 2016 (on bond financing alternatives for project financing in Latin America) and the Issuers and Investors Forum, organized by Latin Finance, Sao Paolo, Brazil, May 2017 (on agri-business financing).
Education and qualifications
Michael studied European history at Middlebury College, Vermont and holds a Juris Doctor from Columbia University.
Michael is a member of the New York State Bar, U.S.