Capital Markets Partner, London
"For over 30 years, I’ve advised clients on US law and regulation in a wide range of engagements running the full gamut of capital markets products and disciplines, especially in the cross-border setting. I enjoy helping clients achieve their objectives where there are difficult disclosure, financial or structuring issues, in challenging circumstances and jurisdictions, especially in the emerging markets. I work extensively with non-US SEC reporting companies and other companies on strategic, transactional and disclosure matters."
Education and qualifications
Cecil is a London-based US partner who leads the Firm’s global US securities practice. He became a partner in the New York office in 1996 and transferred to the London office in 2000. He works on a broad spectrum of securities and finance matters and has extensive experience in offerings of debt, equity, regulatory-capital and structured securities in established and emerging markets, as well as in liability management transactions and restructurings.
Cecil’s most significant recent transactional experience includes:
- advising Wintershall Dea on disclosure and governance matters and its debut multi-tranche €4 billion notes offering
- representing Assemblin on its €250 million senior secured floating rate high-yield notes offering
- representing the lead managers on the DTEK Renewables €325 million green bond (first green bond from a Ukrainian issuer)
- advising ALMEX as selling shareholder and Halyk Bank as issuer in connection with ALMEX’s US$344 million secondary offering of Halyk Bank GDRs
- representing the bookrunners in the US$300 million offering of GDRs of TCS Group Holding PLC (parent of Tinkoff Bank, Russia’s leading fintech player)
- representing the lead managers in Uzbekistan’s debut Rule 144A sovereign bond offering, and in offerings by Oman and the Russian Federation
- advising Unilever on US-securities-law-related aspects of its strategic review and on allits SEC-registered offerings of debt securities
- representing Omantel in its US$1.5bn secured notes offering in connection with its acquisition of its stake in Zain Telecom (GFC Media 2018 Investment Grade Corporate Bond/Sukuk Deal of the Year)
- representing the joint lead managers in Metinvest’s US$1.6bn dual-tranche post-restructuring financing and concurrent tender offer/consent (IFR Emerging EMEA Bond Deal of the Year)
- advising, on a pro bono basis, the World Health Organization on securities-law and related issues associated with its involvement in the Pandemic Emergency Financing Facility (PEF) and the funding of the PEF by the World Bank’s Catastrophe-Linked Capital at Risk Notes (IFLR Americas Structured Finance and Securitisation Deal of the Year)
- designated US underwriters’ counsel to Barclays PLC and Barclays Bank PLC for multiple offerings of SEC-registered debt and regulatory capital (AT1) securities
- advising SAB Miller on US securities-law-related matters in connection with the AB InBev/SAB Miller acquisition
For Cecil’s additional transactional experience, click here.
Cecil is a recognised senior US practitioner in the London market and speaks regularly at a variety of professional conferences. He is an officer of the Securities Law Committee of the International Bar Association, chairing its Underwriting and Distribution Subcommittee, sits on the Advisory Committee for Securities Regulation in Europe of the Practising Law Institute and served from 2005 until 2016 as a member of the board of directors of the High Yield Division of the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (formerly the European High Yield Association). Cecil is also a member of the board of directors of Bank of Georgia Group PLC, the London-premium-listed/FTSE-250-constituent holding company for the largest commercial bank in Georgia. He is a trustee of the University of Virginia Law School Foundation and UK Friends of Harvard University.