Competition/Antitrust Partner, Düsseldorf
"I am an experienced competition lawyer, with particular expertise in handling complex and global merger control cases. Having worked in our Beijing and London offices, I have developed a broad knowledge of competition law with an in-depth understanding of a wide range of sectors our clients operate in. I use these skills to provide best in class advice and to help clients achieve their strategic goals and unravel regulatory challenges."
Education and qualifications
Christoph is a partner in Linklaters’ Global Competition Practice, based in Düsseldorf. He specializes in European and German competition law. Christoph has a particular expertise in complex and global merger control proceedings and also advises clients on foreign investment control proceedings in Germany and other jurisdictions globally.
Further, Christoph comprehensively advises clients in abuse of dominance and cartel proceedings before the European Commission and the Federal Cartel Office as well as internal investigations in the context of potential competition law infringements. Finally, he represents clients in competition litigation matters.
Christoph leads the Innovation and Efficiency Initiative within Linklaters’ Global Competition Practice, aiming to constantly improve the services we can offer, whether by creating new innovative solutions or by driving efficiency in everything we do.
He is listed by Who’s Who Legal and GCR as “future leader in competition law” (2019).
Christoph has advised and represented clients in many major competition cases. His recent experience includes:
- E.ON on several strategic transactions, including the acquisition of control over Innogy, the spin-off of Uniper and the subsequent sale of a significant participation in Uniper to Forum;
- ams with regard to the acquisition of OSRAM;
- Deutsche Börse on its attempted merger of equals with London Stock Exchange;
- several clients in in-depth review proceedings under German foreign investment laws before the Federal Ministry of Economics;
- an operator of an oil pipeline in the successful defence before the European Commission and the Federal Cartel Office in relation to an alleged abuse of a dominant position;
- several clients in cartel proceedings and internal investigations concerning potential infringements of competition laws.
Christoph is a member of Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht (Study Association Competition/Antitrust Law), German-Chinese Lawyer Association, American Bar Association Antitrust Section and American Law and Economics Association.
Christoph is a regular speaker on conferences and seminars on competition law. Furthermore, he regularly contributes articles to legal journals and compendiums, most recently he wrote:
- “Die neue Transaktionswert-Schwelle in der deutschen Fusionskontrolle” (new size-of-transaction test in German Merger Control), in Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftsrecht (GWR), with David-Julien dos Santos Goncalves
- “Antitrust Enforcement with Respect to Intellectual Property in China”, in: Asia Column, CPI − Competition Policy International, with Fay Zhou and Xi Liao
Education and qualifications
Christoph studied law and economics at the University of Bonn and worked as a trainee lawyer at the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as at the European Commission.
Christoph speaks German, English, French and Chinese (Mandarin).