Competition/Antitrust Partner, Düsseldorf
"I advise clients on all aspects of global competition and foreign investment laws. I have a particular expertise in handling complex and global merger control proceedings. Coupled with my in-depth understanding of a wide range of sectors, I use these skills to provide best in class advice and to help clients achieve their strategic goals and unravel regulatory challenges."
Education and qualifications
Christoph is a partner in the Global Competition Practice based in Düsseldorf. He specialises in European and German competition law, including merger control, abuse of dominance and cartel proceedings before the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office as well as in antitrust-related litigation. He has in-depth expertise in complex and global merger control proceedings and advises clients on foreign investment control proceedings in Germany and globally.
Christoph has extensive experience in a variety of sectors, including the energy, commodities, financial services, industrials and pharmaceuticals sectors.
Christoph has advised and represented clients in many high-profile matters, including:
- E.ON on the sale of its 46.6% stake in Uniper to Fortum, one of the few “hostile” takeover bids in Germany, and the far-reaching asset swap with RWE, involving distribution grid and customer solutions as well as renewables activities and an acquisition by RWE of a non-controlling minority stake in E.ON;
- Deutsche Börse AG in relation to the proposed €21 billion merger with London Stock Exchange Group plc;
- Glencore in relation to the global merger control aspects of its US$70bn acquisition of control of Xstrata and on the US$7bn sale of its project and associated facilities in Cotabambas and Grau Provinces in Peru (“Las Bambas”) to a consortium of Chinese buyers led by MMG Ltd;
- Deere & Company in merger control proceedings in 20 jurisdictions globally in relation to the acquisition of Wirtgen Group;
- Commerzbank on the divestment of its Equity Markets and Commodities activities including Investment Products, Flow Products, and Asset Management worldwide to Société Générale;
- An operator of an oil pipeline in the successful defence in proceedings before the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office in relation to an alleged abuse of a dominant position;
- Several clients in in-depth foreign investment control proceedings before the German Ministry of Economics.
Christoph leads the Innovation and Efficiency Initiative within the Global Competition Practice of Linklaters. This initiative is working to constantly improve the services we can offer, whether by creating new innovative solutions or by driving efficiency in everything we do.
He is a member of Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht (Study Association Competition/Antitrust Law), German-Chinese Lawyer Association, American Bar Association Antitrust Section and American Law and Economics Association.
Christoph is a regular speaker on conferences and seminars on competition law. Furthermore, he regularly contributes articles to legal journals and compendiums and various aspects of competition and foreign investment law.
Education and qualifications
Christoph studied law and economics at the University of Bonn and worked as a trainee lawyer at the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as at the European Commission.
Christoph speaks German, English, French and Chinese (Mandarin).