Antitrust & Foreign Investment Counsel, Brussels
"I advise on all aspects of global competition law and foreign investment control, with particular expertise in international merger control and Belgian and Dutch competition law. I combine an in-depth understanding of the legal and commercial topics with a pragmatic and efficient approach, offering well-considered and creative solutions to your legal challenges."
Education and qualifications
Lodewick is all-round EU competition lawyer that splits his time between the Firm’s Amsterdam and Brussels office. With over a decade of experience, he is the go-to person within our global practice for any antitrust, merger control or foreign investment control questions related to the Benelux.
Particular areas of expertise include chemicals, healthcare, mining, mobility and technology (including the Digital Markets Act). Lodewick also has extensive experience with the antitrust aspects of complex global M&A deals, including remedy processes, both at national level in the EU and with the European Commission.
Lodewick has been a key adviser in a number of significant matters. These include advising:
- TDR Capital on its EUR 5 billion sale of LeasePlan to ALD, creating a leading global player in mobility
- DELA on its acquisition of Yarden, creating the largest funeral insurance and service provider in the Netherlands
- Linde on its USD 86 billion merger with Praxair, creating the world’s largest industrial gas supplier
- SABIC Agri-Nutrients on its acquisition of a 49% shareholding in EIHL, creating a leading supplier of fertilisers on the African continent
- Intel on the USD 7 billion sale of its NAND and SSD memory business to SK Hynix
- Mediahuis on several acquisitions of competing newspapers in the Netherlands (NDC and TMG)
- LG Electronics on its appeal before the European Courts in Luxembourg against a EUR 296 million cartel fine imposed by the European Commission in relation to the CRT cartel
- Delhaize on its EUR 25 billion merger with Ahold, creating one of the biggest food retailers in the United States and a major player in Europe
Lodewick jointed Linklaters in 2013. During his career, Lodewick was seconded to the London office.
Before joining Linklater, Lodewick interned at the European Commission’s Directorate General for Competition and the Dutch Competition Authority (ACM)
Education and qualifications
Lodewick holds a master degree from the University of Amsterdam (Magna Cum Laude) and an MJur degree from Oxford University (Lincoln College). During his time at university, Lodewick spent half a year on exchange at the New York University School of Law.
During his career, Lodewick was seconded to the London office. Before joining Linklaters, Lodewick interned at the European Commission’s Directorate General for Competition and the Dutch competition authority (NMa at the time, now ACM).
Lodewick works in Dutch and English.
Lodewick regularly publishes updates on recent competition law developments. Publications include:
- Lodewick Prompers, Florian Jonniaux, Lucas Macharis and Magali Ruysschaert, "New guidelines on abuse of dominance in the EU", Competition Law Insight, August 2023
- Lodewick Prompers, Sari Corrijn and Florian Jonniaux, “Main Developments in Competition Law and Policy 2022 – Belgium”, Kluwer Competition Law Blog, March 2023
- Annamaria Mangiaracina and Lodewick Prompers, “Data and Privacy in EU Merger Control”, GCR Digital Markets Guide – Second Edition, November 2022
- Annamaria Mangiaracina and Lodewick Prompers, “Data and Privacy in EU Merger Control”, GCR Digital Markets Guide – First Edition, December 2021
- Gerwin Van Gerven and Lodewick Prompers, “LG Electronics and Philips v Commission: Joint Venture Parents, Be Aware”, JECLAP 3/2018
- Maikel Van Wissen and Lodewick Prompers, “Big Data, Big Concerns? EU Competition Law Implications of the Changing Role of Big Data in the Financial Services Industry”, Competition Policy International, December 2016
- Nikolaos Peristerakis, Lodewick Prompers and Mar García, “The Commission’s Merger Enforcement in Mobile Mergers: Brave New World for Non-coordinated Effects?”, CPI Antitrust Chronicle, November 2015 (1)
- Jonas Koponen and Lodewick Prompers, “Personal and private: The competition analysis in the Facebook/WhatsApp decision”, Competition Law Insight, 9 June 2015
- Sibel Yilmaz and Lodewick Prompers, “Keep Your Eyes Fixed on the Stars and Your Feet on the Ground: Recent Developments in the EU Telecommunications Sector from a Competition Law Perspective”, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, Volume 32, Number 1, January 2015
- Lodewick Prompers, “Seller beware: uitsluiting van aanbestedingen op basis van een overtreding van het mededingingsrecht”, MP 2014/4, pp. 26-30