Energy & Infrastructure Partner, Hong Kong SAR
“I am an energy and infrastructure specialist, with a particular focus on offshore wind and other renewable technologies, and ESG more broadly.”
Education and qualifications
Ying is an energy and infrastructure specialist with more than a decade of experience advising on project and structured financings, project developments, joint ventures and acquisitions/disposals across the energy transition, power and oil & gas sectors.
Ying has been based in Hong Kong since 2012, and has advised on the development and financing of some of the most significant power and infrastructure projects across the region. This includes primary sponsor or lender side roles on over 3.3GW of offshore wind projects in Taiwan – see further details below. In addition to offshore wind, she has advised / is currently advising on other renewable energy developments in Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and Vietnam.
Ying also has extensive experience advising on energy and natural resources M&A transactions, in particular involving financial investors – see select highlights below.
Prior to Hong Kong, Ying was based in the firm’s London office for over four years. She has also spent time working in-house, including at a multinational energy supermajor and a leading Asian power developer.
Ying’s recent experience includes advising:
- the lenders on the solar assets of BlackRock Alternatives’ Climate Infrastructure business in Taiwan, comprising an initial NT$3.913bn (approximately US$125m) long term multi-tranche green loan facility; and the lenders on BlackRock Real Assets’ NT$9.4bn (approximately US$328m) refinancing of a portfolio of 186MW of solar assets in Taiwan with a green loan facility.
- the sponsors on the financing of the 1GW+ Hai Long 2 & 3 offshore wind farm projects in Taiwan (ongoing).
- the international sponsors and lenders (ECAs and commercial banks) on the closed project financings of Greater Changhua 1, Changfang & Xidao, Yunlin, Formosa 2, Formosa 1 offshore wind projects in Taiwan.
- an international wind developer on its proposed equity and financing arrangements in relation to the Greater Changhua 4 project in Taiwan (ongoing).
- Actis, a leading global investor in sustainable infrastructure, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Levanta Renewables (Levanta), a Southeast Asia-focused renewables platform with 300MW of onshore wind power projects in advanced development in Vietnam.
- the lenders on the US$480m (KRW 615bn) financing of the Jeonnam 1 offshore wind farm project located in South Jeolla Province, South Korea – this is the first internationally sponsored and financed offshore wind project in South Korea.
- Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan Board on its investment of up to US$1bn in a global offshore wind development joint venture with Corio Generation to support the development of 14 fixed bottom and floating wind projects in Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Ireland and the UK.
- China Light and Power on the development of an FSRU to power project in Hong Kong.
- the sponsors on the development and project financing of the 1,200MW Vung Ang II IPP and the 1,980MW Vinh Tan 3 IPP.
Education and qualifications
Ying has a BA (Hons) in Politics, Philosophy and Economics from Oxford University. She subsequently studied law at Nottingham Law School and College of Law, London.
Ying is dual qualified in England & Wales and in Hong Kong SAR, and is fluent in English and Mandarin.