Managing Associate, Brussels
“I advise both our domestic and foreign clients on a range of finance transactions, with a particular focus on project finance and PPP, restructuring and insolvency. I bring considerable technical expertise, offering best in class advice with a strong commercial approach aimed at delivering the results our clients are striving for.”
Laurens specialises in banking and finance law, with a focus on restructuring and project finance, including PPP projects. He has worked for clients on a range of domestic and international finance transactions, including syndicated lending, project finance, real estate finance, debt restructurings and insolvency matters.
Laurens has advised and represented clients in a broad range of industries. His recent experience includes:
- European Investment Bank (EIB) on the project financing of the SeaMade EUR 1.3bn offshore wind project in the North Sea in Belgium
- BAM PPP and Engie Fabricom as sponsors with regard to the Brabo 2 tramway project in the City of Antwerp
- Belfius Bank NV/SA and KBC Bank NV on the project financings of various on-shore wind farms (Wind4Flanders and Wind4Wallonia) developed by Engie Electrabel in Flanders and Wallonia
- UniCredit Bank on the project financing of the Estinnes wind farm, the largest onshore wind farm in Belgium, for CGNEE Belgium Wind Energy Company S.A., a subsidiary of the Chinese state-owned enterprise China General Nuclear Power Corporation
- New Look on the reoganisation of its retail business
- the lenders on the reoganisation of the Van Gansewinkel Group
- Anbang Insurance Group on the acquisition of Fidea
Laurens joined the Linklaters Brussels Corporate and Finance Group in 2013. He was promoted to Managing Associate in May 2019.
In 2017, he was seconded to the Linklaters Restructuring & Insolvency Group in London.
Laurens studied law at the University of Leuven, holds a master’s in law from the University of Leuven and Duke University, an LL.M in Tax Law from the Université Libre de Bruxelles and a Master of Science (MSc) in Law and Finance from the University of Oxford.
He speaks Dutch, English, French and German.