Partner, Asia Head of Dispute Resolution, Singapore
Profession Solicitor of the High Court of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of Queensland (Australia)
Jelita leads the Southeast Asia disputes practice of Linklaters conducting and advising clients on significant and complex cross-border commercial disputes through arbitration, courts and mediation. Jelita assists corporate and financial institution clients throughout the region and in collateral proceedings in London and New York.
Jelita specialises in financial and energy and resource arbitration in the major Asian seats and using all the major institutions and rules (SIAC, HKIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL) including obtaining interim injunctive relief and enforcing arbitral awards in regional courts. Nominated by her peers, Jelita was appointed to the P.R.I.M.E Finance Panel of Experts for her invaluable legal and market expertise in financial products disputes. She is also a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has conducted multiple appointments as sole or co-arbitrator. Jelita regularly speaks at arbitration conferences and seminars and has published several articles on arbitration developments.
Jelita also has extensive experience in local and foreign regulatory and internal investigations, as well as advising on the contentious aspects of cross-border transactions, including conducting due diligence on bribery and corruption risks. She has been endorsed as a Recommended Lawyer for Financial Services Regulatory by Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2019 where she is noted for her strong “focus on cross-border disputes and investigations for major international banks and corporations.”
Jelita is admitted in Hong Kong and Australia and is fluent in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
Her recent experience includes advising:
- a consortia of Asia-based clients in a SIAC arbitration in relation to a dispute with a contractor concerning the construction of a floating oil storage and offtake vessel
- in a SIAC arbitration concerning delays by the contractor in the construction of an PFPSO off-shore in Vietnam
- an international consortium of oil producers in a SIAC arbitration concerning the construction of an off-shore floating oil storage and offtake facility
- an Asian state-owned oil and gas exploration and production company in a SIAC arbitration, arising out of the sale of a participating interest in an Indonesian Production Sharing Contract, in the context of falling energy prices and lack of production from the asset
- an Indonesian oil and gas joint venture in relation to a potential arbitration (seated in Singapore) to resolve a dispute on the termination or amendment of its gas sales agreement to reflect prices determined by the Indonesian Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR)
- an oil and gas exploration and production company with a Southeast Asian focus on issues arising from the termination of the operatorship of its consortium oil exploration activities in the Philippines, including potential ICC arbitration in Geneva and court proceedings for injunctive relief in Singapore
- successfully representing a subsidiary of a global energy client in an SIAC Emergency Arbitration in obtaining emergency relief to protect and preserve the client’s natural resources assets in a multi-million dollar dispute
- a market-leading global supply chain manager of agricultural and energy products in respect of its dispute (subject to SIAC arbitration) arising from its Indonesian coal supply and marketing arrangements
- a major commodities house on potential claims under the Singapore-Indonesia Bilateral Investment Treaty arising from threatened amendments to Indonesia’s plantation laws to reduce maximum foreign ownership
- a government of South East Asia in relation to a Bilateral Investment Treaty claim filed against it arising from changes to regulation of minimum concentration limits and taxes on the export of a mineral resource
- successfully representing an Indonesian client in a US$ multi-million SIAC arbitration arising from a resource trading agreement
Jelita won the Euromoney Asia Women In Business Law individual award for Best in Dispute Resolution in 2015.
- 2014 to date Partner, Linklaters, Singapore
- 2012 - 2014 Partner, Linklaters, Hong Kong
- 2009 - 2012 Managing Associate, Linklaters, Hong Kong
- 2006 - 2009 Associate, Linklaters, Hong Kong
- 2005 - Secondment to Goldman Sachs Asia LLC
- 2005 - Legal Assistant, Linklaters, Hong Kong
- 2004 - Associate to the Hon MH McHugh AC, Justice of the High Court of Australia
- 2002 - 2003 Tipstaff and Research Director to the Hon JJ Spigelman AC, Chief Justice of New South Wales (Australia)
Bachelor Asian Studies (Arabic)/Bachelor of Laws (Hons), Australian National University
English, Bahasa Indonesia