Partner, São Paulo
“My practice focuses on U.S. corporate finance work, which includes capital markets, banking, M&A and infrastructure finance transactions as well as disclosure and reporting issues. I regularly represent global companies, ‘multilatinas’ and investment banks on a wide range of cross-border transactions involving Latin America.”
Education & Qualifications
Matthew is a corporate partner in Linklaters’ São Paulo office. He advises global companies, “multilatinas” and investment banks on corporate and finance transactions. He has extensive experience advising on mergers and acquisitions, SEC-registered and exempt debt and equity offerings, bilateral, syndicated and structured credit facilities, and infrastructure finance transactions. In addition, Matthew provides SEC-disclosure and reporting advice to foreign private issuers. He also has in-depth knowledge of the banking, protein, agriculture biotech, oil & gas, infrastructure and energy sectors.
Matthew has worked extensively in Latin America, including on significant cross-border transactions involving Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, and Peru. Recent clients Matthew has advised include Bioceres, Marfrig Global Foods, PetroRio, Enauta, Moolec Science, Alubar, Raizen, Union Acquisition Group, Banco do Brasil, Bank of America, BNP Paribas, BTG Pactual, Citibank and J.P. Morgan.
Matthew is fluent in Portuguese and Spanish, has strong relationships with local firms in Latin America and has a keen understanding of the local markets in which his clients operate. Based in São Paulo, Matthew has previously worked in Linklaters’ New York and London offices. Matthew is recognized as a leading individual by Chambers Latin America and is ranked in Euromoney’s Banking, Finance and Transactional 2022 Expert Guide under Capital Markets, which recognize individuals considered by peers and clients to be the best in their respective fields in the legal industry.
Matthew has worked on significant cross-border transactions involving Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Mexico, and Peru. Recent highlights include advising:
- Moolec Science Ltd.: advising on the US$325m business combination with LightJump Acquisition Corp., a Delaware based SPAC, and related listing of new holding company Moolec Science SA on Nasdaq.
- Marfrig Global Foods: advising on the acquisition of over 80% of National Beef Packing Company and the acquisition financings related thereto, on the US$2.4bn sale of Keystone Foods to Tyson and the related Ohio Beef carve-out transaction and on over US$10bn in debt capital markets and credit facility financings.
- PlantPlus Foods: advising on the US$100m acquisition of Sol Cuisine and the acquisition of Drink Eat Well LLC, the producer of Hilary’s allergen-friendly plant based products.
- Union Acquisition Corp. II, a Cayman Islands based SPAC: advising on the US$1.1bn business combination with Crynssen Pharma Group Ltd and related listing of new holding company Procaps Group, S.A. on Nasdaq.
- PetroRio S.A.: advising on its follow-on primary public offering with restricted selling efforts of 29,700,000 new common shares for R$69.00 each and on its issuance of US$600m 6.125% senior secured notes due 2026.
- Bioceres Crop Solutions Corp.: advising on the US$207m acquisition of Marrone Bio Innovations and the related secured financing.
- 2021 to date Partner, Linklaters, São Paulo
- 2014 - 2021 Partner, Linklaters, New York
- 2006 - 2014 Associate, Linklaters, New York
- 2004 - 2006 Associate, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, New York
Education & Qualifications
Matthew holds a Juris Doctor and Masters of Business Administration from Brigham Young University. Matthew obtained his undergraduate degree in Spanish Translation from Brigham Young University.
Matthew is a member of the New York Bar, United States.