Advocaat/Avocat, Member of the Brussels Bar
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
David has extensive experience in leverage finance, bank-bond structures and regulatory capital issues. He is a partner in the Banking and Capital Markets group based in Brussels. He covers banking and capital markets and is among the most respected finance specialists in Belgium. He is valued by clients for his solution-oriented approach and extensive transactional experience.
He is recommended as a leading Banking and Capital Markets lawyer by Chambers (Band 1), Legal 500 and IFLR 1000.
Sources say that he "understands the economics behind a deal" and "can really negotiate and run a deal for you; you can just leave it with him and he will come to you with potential issues and his proposed solutions."
Chambers Global 2017, Belgium, Banking and Finance
"Commentators describe "dedicated and pragmatic" department head David Ballegeer as "very client-oriented, creative and able to get even the most challenging deals done," further noting his ability to clearly explain complex issues and his constructive approach.”
Chambers Europe 2016, Belgium, Banking and Finance
Key matters he recently worked on include advising:
- BNP Paribas Fortis, ING Bank and Rabobank in relation to a refinancing and add-on of the EUR 512,000,000 first lien facilities agreement for Continental Foods, a CVC Capital Partners portfolio company
- the Lead Managers on the issue by Belfius Bank SA/NVof EUR 500,000,000 subordinated non-call 10 years tier 2 capital notes.
- KBC Group and KBC Bank in respect of their EMTN Programmes, MREL and tier 1 and tier 2 regulatory capital issues.
- Ontex Group in connection with its EUR 605,000,000 senior facilities and EUR 250,000,000 senior secured fixed rate notes.
- BNP Paribas Fortis, Berenberg, KBC Bank and Bank Petercam Degroof NV on a convertible bond issued by Fieldlink NV, guaranteed by and convertible into shares of Greenyard NV
- Shurgard with respect to its new EUR 300,000,000 private placement of notes with U.S. and European institutional investors.
2009 - to date Partner, Linklaters LLP
2006 - 2009 Counsel, Linklaters LLP
2004 - 2006 Senior Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, London
2004 - Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
2000 - 2003 Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Brussels
2000 - Admitted to the New York Bar
1999 - 2000 Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, New York
1998 - Admitted to the Brussels Bar
1997 - 1998 Stagiaire, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Brussels
1998 - 1999 Harvard Law School, LL.M
1995 - 1997 K.U. Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Licence in Tax Law
1994 - 1997 K.U. Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Degree in Economic Sciences
1989 - 1994 UGent, University of Ghent, Law Degree
Dutch, English, French