Finance Partner, Brussels
“I assist companies to raise finance. I build long-term relationships with my clients so that I understand fully their business requirements and am always there for them. On top of that, I have extensive deal experience and have worked on several innovative structures.”
Education & Qualifications
David is widely regarded as one of Belgium’s leading banking and capital markets lawyers. He advises both lenders and borrowers on the full spectrum of finance transactions, including leverage and acquisition bank financing, investment grade borrowing, and cross-over credits. He regularly assists issuers and underwriters on bank-bond financings. He also advises financial institutions on their regulatory capital transactions.
David’s practice also focuses on advising issuers and underwriters on corporate capital raisings, including IPOs, private placements and accelerated bookbuild offerings.
David has knowledge of a wide range of sectors, including for businesses in the energy and real estate sectors.
David has led on many major deals. These include advising:
- Shurgard Self Storage, the largest owner and operator of self-storage facilities in Europe, on its €575m initial offering to institutional investors and subsequent listing of the shares of the Luxembourg parent on Euronext Brussels
- De Persgroep on an increase of its existing facilities agreement to €630m for purposes of the acquisition of Independer and subsequent reduction to €480m following a private placement of €150m senior notes
- Kinepolis on its revolving credit facility and various private placements of senior notes
- Elia System Operator, the transmission system operator for high-voltage electricity in Belgium and Eastern Germany, on its €435m rights offering, and subsequent private placement including to U.S.-qualified institutional buyers
- Umicore in connection with the issuance of German Schuldschein instruments in total worth €330m, as well as private placements of €360m and €390m of notes under U.S. private placements
- Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank, UBS and a global investment bank as mandated lead arrangers on an additional £300m cov-lite Term Loan B for Nomad Foods to fund the acquisition of Aunt Bessie’s, the makers of British Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes
- on many other bonds and financings, including for Ravage, bpost, AKKA Technologies, Umicore, Bekaert, Befimmo, Van Genechten, KBC Bank and Belfius Bank
Education & Qualifications
David studied law at the University of Ghent and economic sciences at the Catholic University of Leuven, and holds a master in tax law from the Catholic University of Leuven as well as a master in law from Harvard Law School.
He speaks English, Dutch and French.