Advocaat/Avocat, Member of the Brussels Bar
Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
David has extensive experience in leverage finance, bank-bond structures and regulatory capital issues. He is a partner in the Banking and Capital Markets group based in Brussels. He covers banking and capital markets and is among the most respected finance specialists in Belgium. He is valued by clients for his solution-oriented approach and extensive transactional experience.
He is recommended as a leading Banking and Capital Markets lawyer by Chambers (Band 1), Legal 500 and IFLR 1000.
Clients stress that he is "helpful on project management and a very good all-rounder on technical, personal and strategic levels."
Chambers Europe 2018, Belgium, Banking and Finance
Sources say that he "understands the economics behind a deal" and "can really negotiate and run a deal for you; you can just leave it with him and he will come to you with potential issues and his proposed solutions."
Chambers Global 2017, Belgium, Banking and Finance
Key matters he recently worked on include advising:
- Belfius Bank as Issuer in connection with its first issuance of EUR 500m Additional Tier 1 Securities.
- Umicore in connection with the issuance of German Schuldschein instruments in an aggregate amount of EUR 330m as well as a private placement of notes with US institutional investors, comprising of EUR 160m notes due 2027 and EUR 200m due 2029.
- AKKA Technologies SE in connection with the issuance of German Schuldschein instruments in an aggregate amount of EUR 460m.
- Citigroup Global Markets Limited; Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A. (trading as Rabobank London); Deutsche Bank AG, London Branch and Royal
- Bank of Canada acting as mandated lead arrangers in relation to the amendment and restatement of an existing EUR 300m first lien facilities agreement for ACR II B.V., a division of DSM acquired by CVC in 2015.
- Shurgard with respect to its new EUR 300,000,000 private placement of notes with U.S. and European institutional investors.
2009 - to date Partner, Linklaters LLP
2006 - 2009 Counsel, Linklaters LLP
2004 - 2006 Senior Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, London
2004 - Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
2000 - 2003 Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Brussels
2000 - Admitted to the New York Bar
1999 - 2000 Associate, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, New York
1998 - Admitted to the Brussels Bar
1997 - 1998 Stagiaire, Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton, Brussels
1998 - 1999 Harvard Law School, LL.M
1995 - 1997 K.U. Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Licence in Tax Law
1994 - 1997 K.U. Leuven, Catholic University of Leuven, Degree in Economic Sciences
1989 - 1994 UGent, University of Ghent, Law Degree
Dutch, English, French