Capital Markets Partner, New York
Education and qualifications
Doug has a diverse practice that focuses on transactional and advisory matters related to derivatives. Doug represents both buy and sell-side institutions, including some of the foremost dealers, banks, hedge funds and asset managers, in connection with the development, structuring, negotiation and documentation of a wide variety of financial products. These products include total return swaps, swap intermediations, credit derivatives, interest rate swaps, commodity swaps, currency swaps, and other funded and unfunded products. Doug also advises such clients on regulatory issues, particularly those arising in the wake of the Dodd-Frank Act, related to derivatives. He has extensive experience with hybrid products that combine securitization and/or project finance techniques and derivatives.
In addition, Doug has broad experience in the use of derivatives and financial products in the municipal markets, including interest rate swaps, rate locks, credit default swaps, total return swaps and gas prepay financings.
Notable transactions and advisory matters in which Doug has been involved include:
- Represent the International Swaps and Derivatives Association, Inc. (“ISDA”) in connection with its industry-wide efforts related to Title VII of the Dodd-Frank Act, including advising ISDA and IHSMarkit on the creation, design and development of ISDA Amend (a joint-venture online platform that has revolutionized the ISDA protocol process and has over 100,000 users).
- Regularly advise 10+ swap dealers on all matters related to the margin regulations for uncleared derivatives, including (i) negotiating all of the phase 1 and phase 2 regulatory initial margin documentation for a phase1 swap dealer and actively advising a number of other phase 1, 2 and 3 dealers on regulatory initial margin related matters and (ii) assisting market participants with the development of margin financing products.
- Advise market participants on netting, bankruptcy and UCC issues related to all types of trading products.
- Represent swap dealers in connection with the structuring and execution of deal-contingent derivatives transactions.
- Counsel swap dealers in connection with the structuring, documentation and negotiation of derivatives transactions related to complex credit structures (both rated and unrated), including performing a comprehensive risk analysis of such structures and negotiating appropriate protections for such swap dealers.
- Represent a number of major financial institutions in the development, documentation and negotiation of “riskless” intermediation transactions that provide the transferring financial institution with significant liquidity relief.
- Represent end-user clients in connection with their direct lending and trading activities and advise such clients on regulatory issues and the development of internal policies and procedures.
Doug has been recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, The Legal 500 and IFLR 1000 as a leading lawyer in the derivatives and financial products industry and was named a 2012 Rising Star in a global survey by Derivatives Intelligence/Derivatives Week. Notably, Doug has been described by impressed clients in Chambers USA as "incredibly fast and really thorough," as well as "extremely smart but practical, too.”