Nicki currently heads the Capital Markets and Banking Group in which he has been a partner since April 2006.
He practises in banking and finance matters, including credit and security taking, real estate financing, as well as restructuring and insolvency matters.
Nicki’s practice also covers capital markets, primarily concentrating on debt instruments. Nicki has specialist expertise in derivatives products, securitisations, repackagings, fiduciary structures, LPNs and generally all types of debt securities issues. He also advises regularly on prospectus, market abuse and transparency obligation laws, EMIR and other regulatory matters in the capital markets space.
Nicki is a member of the CSSF’s Capital Markets Committee and sits on several other industry committees in the financial sector.
Furthermore, her is a member of the board of the Association Luxembourgeoise des Juristes de Droit Bancaire (ALJB) (the Luxembourg Association of Banking Lawyers) and a member of the editorial committee of the legal journal published by the ALJB. Nicki is also a member of the Executive Board of the Luxembourg-China Chamber of Commerce “ChinaLux”.
Nicki contributes regularly in legal periodicals and other publications on capital markets and banking subjects. Most recently he contributed the Luxembourg chapter in Finanzderivate (financial derivates), edited by J.C Zerey.
Nicki has experience in a wide range of banking and capital markets transactions. These include advising:
- the lead managers on the issue by the Luxembourg government of a €200m Sukuk, the first Euro-denominated non-Islamic sovereign sukuk
- a number of banks as the lead managers on government bond issues by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
- Bank of China Limited, Luxembourg Branch as issuer of the world’s largest green bond issuance, which was the first ever green bond issued by Bank of China and also the first ever green bond issued by a Chinese institution in Europe
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd., Luxembourg Branch on its medium term note programme and on the issue thereunder, including of green bonds
- China Construction Bank (Europe) S.A. and China Construction Bank Corporation, Luxembourg Branch on their EUR 3bn establishment of a Medium Term Note Programme
- Investment banks or investors in relation to the setting up of or issuances by Luxembourg securitisation vehicles (regulated and unregulated)
- On the setting up/use of Luxembourg fiduciary structures, including fiduciary programmes.
Nicki studied for a degree in law and economics at the University of Luxembourg and has Masters degrees from the University of Paris and Cambridge University.
He speaks English, French, German and Luxembourgish.