Stephan specialises in cross-border M&A transactions, capital markets and corporate law.
Stephan is rated as one of the leading individuals in the area of high-end capability Corporate/M&A (Chambers Global, 2020): “He finds practical solutions.”
- ACS, Actividades de Construcción y Servicios: advising on several projects, including the takeover of Abertis by its subsidiary HOCHTIEF, the hostile public share-for-share offer for HOCHTIEF.
- ams: advising on the competing takeover of OSRAM Licht AG and the integration of OSRAM Licht by domination and profit and loss pooling agreement.
- Deutsche Börse: advising on its planned merger of equals with London Stock Exchange Group.
- GlobalWafers: advising on the public takeover offer for Siltronic AG.
- Harmonic Drive Systems Inc.: advising on the acquisition of the remaining common shares of Harmonic Drive AG (60%).
- Huazhu: advising on the acquisition of the hotel company Deutsche Hospitality/Steigenberger Hotels AG including the hotel brands Steigenberger, InterCity Hotels, Jaz in the City, MAXX and Zleep.
- McKesson: advising on several transactions, including the sale of its European businesses in Germany to WBA, in the UK to Aurelius, in Continental Europe to Phoenix and an MBO in Austria, the public takeover of Celesio AG and the integration of Celesio by domination and profit and loss pooling agreement and delisting, the agreement of a joint venture with the US pharmaceutical service provider Walgreens Boots Alliance.
- Qatar Investment Authority: advising on the acquisition of approximately 9% of RWE AG in the form of a convertible bond.
- Schaeffler: advising on the acquisition of Ewellix Group from an affiliate of Triton Fund V.
- Vodafone: advising on several projects, including takeover of Kabel Deutschland and integration of Kabel Deutschland by domination and profit and loss pooling agreement, strategic partnership with GIP and KKR and takeover offer for Vantage Towers.
- Volkswagen: advising on several transactions, including the public takeover of MAN and the subsequent domination and the integration of MAN by domination and profit and loss pooling agreement, the takeover of Scania AB and squeeze-out of the Scania minority shareholder.
- Vonovia: advising the Underwriters on the €8bn rights issue.
Stephan studied law at the universities of Hamburg, Bonn and Cologne. He holds a Master of Criminal Justice (MCJ) from New York University. He has been admitted as attorney-at-law in New York since 1997.
He speaks German and English.