Dr. Thomas Broichhausen
Global Co-Head of Insurance, Munich
“I focus on the insurance sector, advising clients on their most important, strategic insurance-related transactions and corporate issues. I have been closely involved in developing innovative transaction structures on the insurance and reinsurance side, in Germany and cross-border. I aim to deliver proactive, practical and commercially focused team-advice.”
Education and qualifications
Thomas is co-sector leader of the global insurance group and a corporate/M&A lawyer.
Thomas is widely regarded as a leading expert of matters strategically relevant for insurers, advising on a variety of sector-related aspects, including M&A transactions, corporate reorganisations, joint ventures, board room advice, reinsurance structures and bancassurance transactions. He is highly knowledgeable about Insurtech, the impact of digitisation and the increasing interaction between the insurance sector and technology.
Thomas works in close collaboration with the firm’s leading lawyers in e.g. the financial regulation group, the investment group and with data experts.
"Clients praise Thomas Broichhausen for being "very strong in overall client dedication and service with a great overall view and good performance in negotiations."
He enters the rankings following his growing market presence, often advising on group-wide structurings, investments and financing rounds in the German insurance world." (Chambers)
Thomas has advised on many of the market’s most significant insurance deals. These include advising:
- ADAC: on a vehicle insurance joint venture with Allianz.
- Athene/Athora: on the acquisition of Delta Lloyd Lebensversicherung and various auction processes on German life insurers.
- Aviva Life: on the transfer of the annuity, including bulk annuities, business of Aviva Annuities UK.
- AXA: on its participation in and IPO of Africa Internet Group (Jumia) and on its disposal of Pro bAV Pensionskasse.
- Clark: advising on its merger with Allianz-held Finanzen.de and conversion into a Societas Europaea.
- CPPIB: advising on its investment in N26.
- Helvetia: on its public takeover of Nationale Suisse.
- Lloyds Banking Group: on the sale of Heidelberger Leben.
- Various Insurtechs and Insurtech investors.
Thomas has been with Linklaters since 2010. He is based in Munich and was on secondment in the Dusseldorf office in 2016.
Thomas is author of various publications and articles on general corporate law and insurance sector relevant topics. These publications include:
- Hemmschuh oder Durchbruch? Rückversicherungsverträge und Zuführung zur RfB - die neue Auslegungsentscheidung der BaFin in der Analyse, Versicherungswirtschaft, January 2021, Co-Autor
- Rechtsentwicklungen im Versicherungsbereich 2020, Der Betrieb, Beilage Nr. 5 zu Heft 51-52, December 2020, Co-Autor
- Grüne Welle: Eine rechtliche Einordnung zum Megatrend Nachhaltigkeit in der Versicherungsbranche, Versicherungswirtschaft, November 2020, Co-Autor
- Deutsche Lebensversicherer in der Krise?, Börsen-Zeitung, 24. October 2020, Co-Autor
- Lebensversicherungsunternehmen und Pensionskassen in der Krise: Instrumente der Krisenprävention sowie Abwicklungsplanung nach geltendem Recht und de lege ferenda, VersR, June 2020, Co-Autor
- Kein Erfordernis eines Sicherungsbedarfs für Gewinnabführung aufgrund eines Gewinnabführungsvertrags nach § 302 AktG, Anmerkung zu OLG Stuttgart 7 U 12/18 v. 14.11.2019, VersR, April 2020, Co-Autor
- Versicherer im Visier, Erste Schritte zur Abwicklung und Sanierung, FAZ, 12. February 2020, Co-Autor
- Die Höhle der Versicherungslöwen - Venture Capital für InsurTechs, Versicherungswirtschaft, February 2020, Co-Autor
- Rechtsentwicklungen im Versicherungsbereich 2019, Der Betrieb, Beilage Nr. 3 zu Heft 51-52, December 2019, Co-Autor
- Strukturen für den Effizienzvorsprung - Rechtliche Anforderungen beim Einsatz künstlicher Intelligenz in Versicherungsunternehmen in: Versicherungswirtschaft, Nummer 9, September 2019, Co-Autor
Education and qualifications
Thomas studied law at the University of Freiburg and the University of Passau, and he holds a Master of Laws from the University of Chicago.
Thomas is qualified as Attorney-at-Law (New York).
He speaks German and English.