Partner, Hong Kong SAR
“I advise banks, credit funds, alternative capital providers, financial sponsors and corporations on leveraged finance transactions, including acquisition financings, dividend recapitalizations, TLBs, and unitranches, as well as on asset-based loans, including margin loans, pre-IPO financings, capital call facilities and NAV financings. I am part of a market-leading team in Asia which provides practical and commercial solutions to clients, in line with their sector and strategic needs.”
Education and qualifications
Alex specialises in advising banks and other financial institutions, private equity funds and corporates on a wide range of banking, finance and restructuring transactions across greater China, India, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia, with a particular focus on leveraged finance. He also advises clients on a broad range of debt instruments, including a variety asset-based loans, unitranches, TLBs, high yield bonds and related derivatives. Alex is recognised in legal directories as a leading international finance lawyer.
Alex has advised on significant transactions including advising:
- the arrangers and lenders on the debt financing for the acquisition by investment firm BPEA EQT of Florida-based sports education institution, IMG Academy, for an enterprise value of US$1.25bn
- a global investment bank on the US$150m holdco loan for the acquisition of AIMS Data Centre Holding in Malaysia, by Digital Bridge
- a leading global bank, Tahan and Orion on the US$75m mezzanine financing for the acquisition of certain subsidiaries of the Venator Group in seven jurisdictions, by Cathay Colors
- ANZ, DBS and a multinational bank on the US$957m senior financing for the acquisition of Interrplex, by Blackstone
- a multinational bank on the HK$1.85bn dividend recap financing for HK Broadband Network, a portfolio company of TPG and MBK Partners
- Ares on the US$287m unitranche financing for a minority investment in the Synergy Group, by Search Light Capital.
- a multinational bank on the US$180m bridge financing in favour of Alvogen (formerly a portfolio company of CVC and Temasek) to fund an investment in Alvotech.
- CPPIB and Nomura on the US$350m unitranche financing for the acquisition of IGT Solutions, by BPEA
Alex previously trained and practiced at Linklaters in the London and Milan offices between 2004 and 2010, before leaving to join Cleary Gottlieb and then White & Case, where he was a partner since 2018.
Other work highlights
- a global investment bank and ING on the HK$1.8bn senior financing for the acquisition of PCCW Solutions, by Digital Bridge
- CPPIB and Nomura on the US$500m unitranche financing for the acquisition of SPi Global, by BPEA
- a multinational and global investment banks on the AU$320m margin loan for a vehicle controlled by Blackstone, secured over its participation in Crown Resorts
- leading global investment banks on the US$1.2bn unrated TLB financing in favour of Byju’s
- a multinational bank in connection with an AU$150m “net asset value” financing, in favour of a top tier Australian superannuation fund