Linklaters has been in Singapore for over 25 years. Being a central hub for activity across so many sectors and jurisdictions, our team advises clients in Singapore and across the wider South East Asia region.
Innovation is at the heart of everything we do and our team are working on some of the most unique and first-of-a-kind transactions and projects across the region, as new trends, transaction types and technologies emerge.
As one of the few international firms to be awarded a qualifying foreign law practice (QFLP) licence by the Singapore Ministry of Law, we practice Singapore law as well as English and U.S. law.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- United Overseas Bank on the S$1.15bn renewal of its strategic regional bancassurance with the Prudential Group to distribute life insurance products in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam
- AWAK Technologies on the largest medtech fundraising in Singapore, and one of the largest in Southeast Asia
- the joint lead managers on the issue of US$300m Trust Certificates due 2022 by SD International Sukuk and guaranteed by Serba Dinamik Holdings Berhad. This is the first high yield sukuk issued in Malaysia
- the arrangers and dealers on the establishment of a US$1.5bn Global Medium Term Note Programme by PT Hutama Karya (Persero) with each Series of Notes issued thereunder being guaranteed by the Government of the Republic of Indonesia, marking the first sovereign-guaranteed programme established by an Indonesian corporate entity
- the arrangers on the US$360m financing to fund Baring Private Equity Asia’s acquisition of a controlling stake in NIIT Technologies, an Indian company listed on both the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange of India
- Standard Chartered Bank on the launch of its “Banking as a Service” solution, Nexus (a transformational platformification strategy where the bank collaborates with digital/e-commerce platforms to co-create and launch new products and services to consumers), including advising on the collaboration agreement and local regulations
- BondEvalue on the creation of the world’s first blockchain-based fractional bond trading platform. This platform uses a permissioned blockchain that allows bonds to be traded electronically, moving away from the traditional process of a two-day settlement cycle
- The Singapore Association of Cryptocurrency Enterprises and Startups (ACCESS), in collaboration with the Association of Banks in Singapore, to produce a first-of-its-kind Code of Practice in Singapore setting out anti-money laundering and countering terrorism financing best practices for cryptocurrency firms operating in Singapore
- Noble Group on successfully defending a high value and complex litigation before the Singapore High Court, brought by its former CEO, in relation to forfeited incentives and bonuses, and Noble’s counterclaim relating to his alleged breach of restrictive covenants and fiduciary duties
- an oil and gas joint venture of multinational parties in a c.US$300m ICC arbitration over the applicable gas price to a gas sales agreement, arising from a price increase imposed by the Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources. A settlement was achieved in 2019
- a multinational consumer health and hygiene company on a high profile product liability dispute in Korea involving substantial civil and criminal litigation and a subsequent arbitration
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market
"For structured, highly complex deals that involve multiple parties, Linklaters are probably our top choice. Our experience has been very pleasant and in terms of the quality of the work, they are one of the best."
Band 1 - Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Banking & Finance (International) Singapore
"They are very aware of the commercial considerations in each transaction but will still ensure their clients’ key interests are protected, and this greatly helps to push the transaction quickly along."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Capital markets (International firms) Singapore
"I am impressed with this team’s responsiveness and commercial sense. They are a savvy and experienced team who know their way around capital raisings."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia Pacific 2020, Corporate/M&A (International firms) Singapore
"[Linklaters is] helpful and business-oriented and understanding of the needs of the business and specifics of our activity."
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, Employment (International Firms) Singapore
“Linklaters is a top choice for leading banks, including J.P Morgan, Citibank and UBS, on the full spectrum of regulatory matters; with expertise ranging from licensing and compliance policies and procedures, to anti-money laundering, corporate governance, insider dealing, crypto-currency and investigations.”
Tier 1 – Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020, Financial services regulatory (Foreign firms) Singapore