Managing Associate, London
"I am a litigator specialising in contentious regulatory disputes, business crime, crisis management and investigations. I have acted for corporates and senior individuals and have experience both of working in-house and at the FCA. I aim to draw together this experience to provide clients with strategic advice on their most challenging issues, delivered in a personable, straight-forward and clear manner."
Education and qualifications
Ben is a Managing Associate in Dispute Resolution, specialising in contentious regulatory disputes, business crime, crisis management and investigations.
He has advised many significant financial institutions and senior individuals on Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) investigations, enforcement actions, skilled persons reviews and supervisory action. These disputes have covered a range of subjects, including prudential issues, systems and controls, market conduct, operational resilience, notification obligations and competition aspects. Often, those matters have involved several parallel investigations by multiple authorities into firms and individuals. Ben is able to draw upon his experience of having spent time on secondment to the FCA in 2015, as well as two secondments to Barclays, to help clients navigate these challenges.
Ben has also advised clients on several criminal matters, including investigations being conducted by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) and Department of Justice (DOJ). This has included advising on bribery and corruption and money laundering, including self-reports to the authorities. Ben has also helped lead internal investigations into cross-border tax evasion and product liability issues. Ben has experience assisting clients through unannounced visits by regulators and other crises. He is recognised in the Legal 500 as a key lawyer for Linklaters tier 1 regulatory investigations and corporate crime team.
As well as investigations, Ben has experience acting on a wide range of other contentious matters, including public inquiries, Parliamentary Select Committees, High Court litigation and pre-dispute advisory work. He has a passion for innovation and legal design.
Recent work highlights include:
- acting for a major international bank on its settlement with the PRA concerning notification obligations
- acting for the former CEO of a major bank on a joint FCA and PRA investigation
- acting for a challenger bank on a joint PRA and FCA investigation
- acting for the former Head of Compliance of a major financial services firm on an FCA investigation
- conducting a major cross-border investigation into potential tax evasion
- advising a major financial services firm on parallel investigations pursued by the SFO, DOJ and FCA into potential bribery and corruption
- contesting an own initiative requirement (OIREQ) imposed by the FCA on an international bank
- advising a financial services firm on an unannounced visit conducted by the FCA using its competition powers
- advising an investment bank on a Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) investigation
- acting for an investment bank on the defence of significant High Court claim concerning fiduciary management
- advising a major bank on the set-up of a high-profile customer complaints scheme
Education and qualifications
Ben studied Law at the University of Sheffield.
He is qualified in England and Wales with Higher Rights (Civil).