Restructuring & Insolvency Partner, London
"I have extensive experience in advising clients on some of their most challenging restructuring transactions and reconciling the diverse interests and perspectives of stakeholders from across the capital structure. I aim to provide commercially focused and pragmatic advice to help clients achieve the desired outcome in demanding situations."
Education and qualifications
Liam is a Partner in the Restructuring & Insolvency team based in London who specialises in advising on cross-border restructurings, recapitalisations, opportunistic and special situations financings and distressed M&A transactions. He regularly advises funds, banks, corporates, financial sponsors and their portfolio companies on a wide range of complex debt structures and across a number of sectors, asset classes and geographies.
During his career at Linklaters, Liam has spent time in both the Hong Kong and Madrid offices and recently completed an 11 month secondment to the special situations team of a credit fund in London.
Liam has advised on some of the most significant restructuring mandates in the market, including (to the extent capable of being disclosed) advising:
- the South African retail conglomerate, Steinhoff, in connection with the corporate and financial restructuring of its European operating business by way of two parallel English law CVAs (together with the associated restructuring of the group’s US arm, Mattress Firm, through a Chapter 11 process and the refinancing of the French retail goods supplier, Conforama, by way of conciliation proceedings in France)
- the Norwegian paper producer, Norske Skog, as issuer in connection with the consent solicitation process for the amendment of various series of its HY note issuances and the associated sale of the group
- certain noteholders in connection with the proposed restructuring of the Brazilian telecommunications provider, Oi S.A. and the associated liability management exercise
- the ad hoc group of lenders in connection with the EUR700m financial and corporate restructuring of the German ceramics and metals producer, H.C. Starck
- the co-ordinating committee in connection with the contentious restructuring of Itevelesa, S.A. and associated enforcement proceedings
- the special liquidators of IBRC in connection with its special liquidation and the associated sale of the UK and Irish portfolio of commercial real estate backed loans
- the co-ordinating committee of senior lenders in connection with the financial restructuring of the European Directories group in both 2010 and 2012 (including in connection with the Court of Appeal proceedings in 2010 on the proper interpretation of intercreditor release mechanics on a distressed disposal)
Education and qualifications
- University College London – Law with German Law (LLB) (2004 – 2008)
- University of Law – Legal Practice Course (2008 – 2009)