Investment Funds Counsel, London
“I am an investment funds lawyer with extensive experience in advising on a broad range of private investment funds, fund-like joint ventures, and the establishment and operation of fund managers. I am committed to applying thorough technical knowledge to provide practical and commercial solutions to my clients’ most complex legal issues.”
Education and qualifications
Richard is a Counsel in our investment funds practice and specialises in advising on the establishment, operation and marketing of institutional and alternative investment funds and fund-like structures with a wide variety of strategies and asset classes, both offshore and onshore; and advising in relation to asset managers’ internal arrangements, operations and corporate activity. Richard also advises on the potential impact of fund regulation, in particular AIFMD and the UK collective investment scheme regime, on joint ventures and similar structures.
Richard’s recent experience includes advising:
- A major investment bank: on the establishment of an open-ended institutional credit fund
- A US alternative investment manager: on its establishment of an EU AIFM and EU parallel fund structure to take advantage of the AIFMD marketing passport
- Balfour Beatty: on the spin out of its infrastructure fund management team and sale of its fund interests
- in relation to the spin-out of a team of systematic traders from a major investment bank, their creation of a new fund management business and its ongoing operation
- in relation to a proposed merger between two major providers of retail investment fund products
- Utmost Life and Pensions: on the negotiation of a strategic partnership with a major fund manager in relation to unit-linked policies
Richard joined Linklaters as a trainee solicitor in 2000, and qualified as a solicitor into the Investment Funds department in 2002.
He has spent time on secondment to the Fund Derivatives desk of a major investment bank, as well as 18 months in Linklaters’ New York office.