Counsel, Head of Hong Kong TMT , Hong Kong SAR
Education and qualifications
Albert is a senior commercial lawyer with 20 years’ experience specialising in all aspects of technology, digital and telecommunications transactions and related regulatory issues. Albert is counsel and Head of Technology, Media and Communications (TMT) - Hong Kong supporting clients in Hong Kong and throughout the Asia Pacific.
Albert focuses on the full spectrum of domestic and cross-border technology, media and telecommunications projects, including technology outsourcings, digital transformations, systems implementations, network and infrastructure rollouts, managed services, cloud arrangements and software licensing, fintech, privacy and data protection, IP, cyber, IoT, AI, and general commercial and corporate support transactions. He has extensive experience in advising multinationals on local and international large-scale transactions and regulatory projects across a wide spectrum of industry sectors.
Albert re-located to Hong Kong in August 2019, after practising in Australia and the United States (Los Angeles) for many years, including leading complex TMT projects throughout Asia Pacific.
Albert is recognised as a Recommended Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer - Hong Kong for 2020 by Doyle's Guide, as a “TMT expert” (in overview) who has relocated to Hong Kong by Legal 500 Asia Pacific – Hong Kong 2020, as a 'Next Generation Partner' in the IT and Telecoms category in Australia by Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017, 2018 & 2019 and as a ‘Best Lawyer’ – Information Technology Law in Australia by Best Lawyers 2019 & 2020.
- advising leading telecommunication operators in Asia, Australia and the Middle East on all aspects of complex technology and telecoms transactions such as network rollout and maintenance arrangements (including the rollout of the first LTE/4G network in Myanmar), setting up cloud infrastructure platforms and other cloud transactions, set up of mobile money platforms, network operations and outsourcing arrangements (such as IT infrastructure, AD&M, managed services), co-location and data centre services, sale and leaseback arrangements, spectrum and fibre sharing arrangements, OTT transactions, wholesale and joint ventures and alliance arrangements
- advising financial services (including fintech) and insurance clients, from start-up, high growth to major multinationals on a range of technology transactions such as setting up digital platforms, cloud outsourcing and licensing, privacy and financial services regulatory issues, ‘as a service’ arrangements, core systems transformations and privacy and data protection matters
- advising various corporate entities in transport and logistics, energy, retail, manufacturing and technology sectors on a range of technology development, licensing and support of key IT systems and applications, entertainment, telecoms and connectivity solutions (e.g. in-flight wifi connectivity solutions and in-flight entertainment solutions for an airline’s entire fleet of aircraft), business separation, IP and IT transfer and transitional services arrangements in connection with M&A and re-organisations
Prior to joining the firm’s Hong Kong office, Albert worked as Head of TMT – HK for a UK-based international law firm and has worked as in top tier TMT practices of leading law firms in Australia and the United States as well as completed several senior in-house legal secondments with corporate TMT clients in Australia and in Asia.
Albert frequently publishes and speaks on technology, fintech and data privacy topics in Asia Pacific. Some examples of recent speaking engagements/presentations include:
- Presenter & Panellist for Hong Kong “Privacy, Technology and Crisis Response: Case Studies from Australia, Singapore, Mainland China and Hong Kong” Live Webinar - Co-hosted by University of Sydney China Studies Centre, the Centre for Asia and Pacific Law at the Sydney Law School, and Sydney Southeast Asia Centre - 9 June 2020
- Presenter at Legalwise’s Privacy and Data Security Seminar – “Data as an Asset – Latest Issues and Managing Legal Risk” held at the Novotel, Melbourne, Australia - 15 March 2019
- Presenter & Panellist: “Human rights and modern day (anti) slavery – how the new modern slavery laws affects your organisation” Association of Corporate Counsel, Australia held at the Crown Casino, Melbourne, Australia - 14 March 2019
Albert is passionate about business and community leadership and pro bono service. He has been a Scholarships Applications Reviewer for the General Sir John Monash Foundation (2018 - 2020), was an elected Committee Member & Secretary Australian Indonesia Business Council (Victoria) (2013 – 2019) and a former pro bono co-ordinator for his previous law firm and held elected committee positions for young lawyers committees and was a past member of the Law Society of NSW’s EEO Committee (2003/04). Albert was a Pro Bono Award Finalist in the Lawyers Weekly Australian Law Awards in 2014.
Education and qualifications
Albert holds a Bachelor of Social Science from the University of New South Wales, Bachelor of Laws from the University of Technology, Sydney, Master of International Studies from the University of Sydney and a Master of Laws (Media, Communications and Information Technology Law) from the University of New South Wales. He is a Certified Practising Project Practitioner (CPPP) from the Australian Institute of Project Management.
Albert is a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Hong Kong SAR and has been admitted to practice law in Australia and the United States (California).