Clients value our local knowledge and depth of experience in the Thai market. Whether a deal involves international clients looking to invest in Thailand or Thai clients seeking opportunities abroad, we provide clients with the regional and global expertise needed to get the deal done.
From our office in Bangkok we advise across a range of practice areas including: banking, projects/energy & infrastructure, acquisition finance and real estate finance, capital markets, (including international securities advice and structured finance) and our corporate/M&A team, where our team is recognised as a market leader for all disciplines, including private equity.
Recent significant transactions include advising:
- Ngern Tid Lor (TIDLOR) on its initial public offering (IPO) and listing of its shares on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. We also advised Siam Asia Credit Access and Bank of Ayudhya, who are major shareholders, on the sale of its existing shared in (TIDLOR) as part of the IPO. This represents the largest IPO in the finance and securities sector and consumer finance sector in Thailand. It is also the fifth largest IPO in the history of the Thai equity capital market.
- Charoen Pokphand Group on its US$10.6bn acquisition of Tesco’s businesses in Thailand and Malaysia and on the various banking facilities related to the acquisition. This is one of the biggest corporate acquisition in Thailand’s history and one of the largest in Asia.
- ING Bank, a major shareholder with a substantial stake in TMB Bank (TMB), on the business integration between TMB and Thanachart Bank, a leading commercial bank in Thailand. This is one of the largest mergers of financial institution businesses in Thailand.
- Siam Commercial Bank on its US$2.8bn sale of 99.17% shares in SCB Life Assurance to FWD Group, and a long-term bancassurance agreement in relation to life insurance products. This is the largest ever life insurance transaction in South East Asia in terms of total value and one of the largest ever in Asia.
- SCB 10X on its investment in, and joint venture with, Traveloka to set up a new online financial services platform in Thailand.
- PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC) on the proposed combination of the interests of PTTGC and AGC in Chlor-Alkali and PVC businesses in Thailand and Vietnam. The transaction involves a number of complex structuring and legal issues that require consultations with regulators and innovative solutions to overcome.
- Minor International on the THB 9.8bn offering of new ordinary shares to its existing shareholders, domestically and internationally, in proportion to their shareholdings followed by the issuance of warrants to the existing shareholders. This is the first rights offering in reliance of the preferential public offering exemption under Thai securities law.
- a consortium on the development, construction, operation and maintenance of the High Speed Rail linking three airports in Thailand. This is the largest project to be developed as part of Thailand's Eastern Economical Corridor of proposed infrastructure and other development projects.
Our renowned experience is recognised by the market:
”Their main strengths are an ability to identify key risks and advise us how to mitigate or avoid them, their standpoint of working towards our best interests.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Banking & Finance: Thailand
“They’re able to grasp the essentials of deals and provides quick turnaround, as well as being very thorough in terms of contract drafting and reviewing.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Capital Markets: Thailand
“Linklaters' key strength is its understanding of the underlying business context and enhanced ability to facilitate transactions in a much broader way than just the legal aspect.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Corporate/M&A: Thailand
“They have vast experience in handling all stages of projects, including financing, acquisition and development. They assist both sponsors and lenders with major inbound and outbound projects. They have delivered an excellent service to us. The team is very capable and very supportive and knowledgeable.”
Band 1 – Chambers Asia-Pacific 2021, Projects & Energy: Thailand