Fielding a team of over 120 lawyers, Linklaters is one of the most established and renowned law firms in Spain.
In addition to our leading team dedicated to Spanish law, in Madrid we also have lawyers specialised in English and U.S. law who advise on the international aspects of the transactions in which we are involved. Our people also include four academics (catedráticos) who are highly regarded in the Spanish legal field. As a result, Linklaters’ Madrid office is able to offer technical excellence and sound and comprehensive advice on almost all key areas of business law.
We offer three core capabilities:
- Corporate (including private equity)
- Finance (including banking, capital markets and regulatory)
- Dispute Resolution.
We have been involved in many of the highest profile and most complex corporate and financial transactions, both domestic and cross-border, that have taken place in Spain in recent years, advising the world’s leading corporates, financial institutions and investment banks.
As the only international firm with its own offices in Spain and Portugal, we are able to offer a fully integrated Iberian practice, thus providing clients with a one-stop shop. We also work very often with the São Paulo and New York teams on international transactions in Latin America and the United States.
Recent transactions include advising:
- Siemens on the combination of certain wind power businesses with Gamesa Corporación Tecnológica
- Vortex (EFG Hermes) on the acquisition of a 49% stake in an operational 664MW portfolio of European wind assets from EDP Renováveis S.A.
- Banco Santander on the creation of a series of joint ventures financial companies (FCs) with Banque PSA
- PrimeFin, S.A. (a Luxco indirectly fully owned by H.E. Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jabr Al-Thani) on the acquisition of up to 15.25% of the shares of El Corte Inglés Telepizza Group, S.A. and Permira on the initial public offering of shares of
- Tele Pizza and its listing on the Spanish Stock Exchanges
- Banco Popular Español, S.A. on its €1bn capital increase through the issue of 2,004,441,153 new ordinary shares
- a group of lenders on the partial financing to Merlin Properties for the acquisition of Testa Inmuebles en Renta
- Abengoa, S.A. and its group on the restructuring of its financial debt
- the bondholders on the capital and debt restructuring of the Codere Group
- ActivumSG Capital Management on the acquisition of Ronda de Atocha and on the acquisition of the shopping centre The Heron City Barcelona
- GLL Real Estate Partners on the sale of an estate located on Paseo de Recoletos (Madrid) to Abanca Corporación Bancaria
- Real Madrid on a complaint to the Spanish Competition Authority (CNMC) against the Spanish Professional Football Association (“Liga Nacional de Fútbol Profesional”) regarding infringements of the Spanish and European regulations on anticompetitive agreements, abuse of dominance and unfair competition
- BP on the autofuel antitrust probe launched by the CNMC regarding alleged anticompetitive agreement
Linklaters operates in Spain through Linklaters S.L.P., an affiliate of Linklaters LLP