Tax Partner, Madrid
Education and qualifications
Alejandro is a partner based in Madrid.
He has broad experience advising Spanish and international companies, private equity houses and financial institutions on the tax aspects of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, leveraged acquisitions, capital markets and structured finance products, real estate transactions and tax litigation.
He also has extensive experience in the structuring and planning of foreign investments in Spain and of Spanish investments overseas alike.
The 2017 through 2019 editions of Chambers have ranked him as a leading individual in Tax in Spain. He is described as a hard-working and both technically and commercially strong lawyer, with a strong combination of technical skills, commercial awareness and the ability to handle deals confidently.
Recently, Alejandro led the tax structuring of the most successful “Buy and Build Strategy” in the energy sector in Spanish history (Centerbridge/Vela Energy).
Alejandro has led, or been a major adviser, on many groundbreaking Tax matters. These include advising:
- Siemens on the merger of its wind power businesses into Gamesa (the largest M&A transaction in Spain in 2016, awarded deal of the Year in 2017 by Expansión).
- BC Partners on the acquisition of majority stake in Pronovias.
- Crédit Agricole Assurances on the acquisition of a 5% stake in CLH.
- Davidson Kempner Partners and BAML on the acquisition of several hotels, like Hotel Puerta América, Meridien RA Hotel and Monterrey Hotel.
- Cerberus on several NPLs acquisitions, on the acquisition of Banco Sabadell’s real estate business and the acquisition of Sotogrande from NH Hotels and the subsequent sale to Orion
- Intu Properties on the acquisition of the Xanadú shopping centre in Madrid, one of Spain’s largest, and on the acquisition of the Puerto Venecia shopping centre in Zaragoza and Parque Principado shopping centre in Asturias.
- Structuring the majority of the project bonds in Spain (Vela Energy, T-Solar and Sonnedix).
Alejandro has strong tax expertise structuring all types of transactions across a variety of sectors, particularly regarding funds, including traditional private equity, energy and infrastructure, sovereign, distressed and special opportunity.
Alejandro has published quite a few tax articles in specialised media and he is a lecturer at various Spanish universities. He is also a member of the Madrid office’s recruitment team.