Competition/Antitrust Partner, Düsseldorf
"I am an experienced competition lawyer, with particular expertise in handling complex and global merger control cases. Having worked in our Beijing and London offices, I have developed a broad knowledge of competition law with an in-depth understanding of a wide range of sectors our clients operate in. I use these skills to provide best in class advice and to help clients achieve their strategic goals and unravel regulatory challenges."
Education and qualifications
Christoph specialises in European and German competition law, including merger control, abuse of dominance and cartel proceedings before the European Commission and the Bundeskartellamt (the Federal Cartel Office) as well as in antitrust-related litigation. He has particular expertise in complex and global merger control proceedings and also advises clients on German foreign investment control proceedings.
He has extensive experience in the energy, commodities, financial services, industrial and pharmaceuticals industries.
Christoph was seconded to the firm’s Beijing office for seven months in 2014/15.
Christoph has advised and represented clients in many major competition cases. His recent experience includes:
- advising E.ON on the planned sale of its 46.6% stake in Uniper SE to Fortum, one of the few “hostile” takeover bids in Germany and the planned far-reaching assets swap with RWE
- representing Deere & Company in merger control proceedings in 20 jurisdictions in relation to the acquisition of Wirtgen Group
- advising Deutsche Börse on its attempted merger with London Stock Exchange
- representing an operator of an oil pipeline in the successful defence in proceedings before the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office in relation to an alleged abuse of a dominant position
- representing a major European operator of gas storage facilities in antitrust-related litigation regarding the validity of a long-term storage agreement
Christoph is a member of Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht (Study Association Competition/Antitrust Law), German-Chinese Lawyer Association, American Bar Association Antitrust Section and American Law and Economics Association.
Christoph is a regular speaker on conferences and seminars on competition law. Furthermore, he regularly contributes articles to legal journals and compendiums, most recently he wrote:
- “Die neue Transaktionswert-Schwelle in der deutschen Fusionskontrolle” (new size-of-transaction test in German Merger Control), in Gesellschafts- und Wirtschaftsrecht (GWR), with David-Julien dos Santos Goncalves
- “Antitrust Enforcement with Respect to Intellectual Property in China”, in: Asia Column, CPI − Competition Policy International, with Fay Zhou and Xi Liao
Education and qualifications
Christoph studied law and economics at the University of Bonn and worked as a trainee lawyer at the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology as well as at the European Commission.
Christoph speaks German, English, French and Chinese (Mandarin).