Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations Partner, Brussels
“I have combined contentious, pre-contentious and transactional expertise, handling commercial, criminal and regulatory matters across a wide range of disputes-related work, with particular in-depth experience in consumer protection. I am able easily to understand, and therefore advise on, highly technical issues in different industries, providing clients with clear guidance on the best strategies for resolving disputes.”
Education and qualifications
Florence is active in commercial and criminal matters, and specialises in market practices and consumer protection, commercial relationships, business crime (including corruption), image and reputation, and corporate disputes. She advises clients active in a variety of sectors, including the financial, tech and retail sectors.
She has developed considerable expertise in collective redress actions, including advising on the defence in two of the few class actions in Belgium. She is well versed in the Collective Redress Directive. She also advises on specific (EU) regulatory matters affecting business, including AML.
She counsels clients in managing crises in the context of administrative and criminal investigations.
Florence has been included in the “Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers” database, following independent nominations by her clients.
Florence is an active promoter of diversity and inclusion in the firm, including by supporting young mothers.
Florence acts as a mentor in the “Bright Future” programme organised by Be.Face, a Belgian initiative that contributes to greater social and professional inclusion of vulnerable groups, to help (prospective) students define their career goals.
Florence has written on a variety of subjects.
- “Anti-Corruption 2021 – Belgium”, Chambers and Partners, with Françoise Lefèvre and Michiel Vanwynsberghe
- “Les actions collectives: des régimes variés selon la catastrophe concernée”, in Le droit des catastrophes, Anthemis, 2020, with Xavier Taton
- “Affaire Proximus : un éclairage jurisprudentiel en matière de recevabilité d'une action en réparation collective”, R.D.C./T.B.H., 2018
- “Introduction aux principes de la Loi relative à l'action en réparation collective et premiers commentaires critiques”, R.D.C./T.B.H., 2014/6, with Elodie Falla and Françoise Lefèvre
- “Rappel des conséquences (souvent douloureuses) du non-respect de la loi sur l'information précontractuelle”, R.G.D.C./T.B.B.R., 2012
- “Blazing the trail on criminal IP sanctions”, World Intellectual Property Review, Volume 21, Number 11, November 2007, with Pieter Van Den Broecke
- “Le ‘comme en référé’ et le fond ordinaire devant le même juge d’appel: la jonction pour connexité ou litispendance reste possible”, R.D.C./T.B.H., 2006, with Xavier Taton
- “Quelques commentaires sur la protection du nom commercial en droit belge”, R.D.C./T.B.H., 2006, with Jean-Christophe Troussel
Education and qualifications
Florence studied law at the Catholic University of Louvain (UCL, Belgium) and holds a master’s in law from Duke University School of Law (NC, USA; Fulbright alumna).
She speaks English, French and Dutch.