Hugo van der Molen
Capital Markets Counsel, Amsterdam
"I advise on capital markets transactions, combining expert advice with a common sense and down to earth approach to help clients successfully navigate the international capital markets and regulatory framework.”
Education and qualifications
Hugo is a Counsel in the Amsterdam Capital Markets practice. Hugo advises financial institutions and large corporate entities on international capital markets transactions and the changing regulatory landscape for both banks and corporate issuers. He is an experienced lawyer who is specialised in a broad scope of international capital markets offerings, including (CRD compliant) bank capital, insurance capital, corporate hybrid offerings, EMTN programmes, Green/ESG bonds, securitisations, trade receivables financings and SPACs.
Hugo is closely following the developments on new technology offerings within the capital markets such as tokenisation and digitisation of debt and equity issuances.
During client secondments, Hugo also gained experience as an inhouse counsel at various financial institutions.
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on NN Group N.V.’s issuance of €500m Subordinated Tier 2 Notes (Green Bonds).
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on Koninklijke KPN N.V.’s issuance of €500m Perpetual Fixed Rate Resettable Capital Securities (Green Bonds).
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on TenneT Holding B.V.’s quadruple tranche issuance of a total of €3.85bn Green Bonds.
- ING Groep N.V.: advising the Issuer on its issuance of U.S.$1bn 7.500% Perpetual Additional Tier 1 Contingent Convertible Capital Securities.
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on ASR Nederland N.V.'s issuance of Solvency II compliant €1 bn. Fixed to Fixed Rate Subordinated Notes (Tier 2).
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A.’s EUR1bn Perpetual Additional Tier 1 Contingent Temporary Write Down Capital Securities.
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on Wolters Kluwer N.V.’s issuance of €500m 3.000 per cent. Senior Bonds.
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on Universal Music Group N.V.’s dual-tranche issuance of EUR 500m 3.000 per cent. Fixed Rate Notes and EUR 500m 3.750 per cent. Fixed Rate Notes.
- The Joint Lead Managers: advising on Athora Netherlands N.V.’s issuance of Solvency II compliant EUR 500,000,000 Fixed to Fixed Rate Subordinated Notes, including the concurrent tender offer in respect of its US$ 575,000,000 Fixed to Fixed Rate Undated Subordinated Notes.
Hugo joined the Linklaters Amsterdam office as Counsel in 2022 with over 10 years’ experience, after having worked in other global law firms. He has been consistently identified as an ‘associate to watch” or ‘rising star’ by Chambers and IFLR and as a ‘Tier 1 key lawyer’ by Legal 500. Hugo speaks Dutch, English and Portuguese.
Further Work highlights includes:
- ING Groep N.V.: advising the Issuer on its issuance of €1.5bn Green Bonds.
- Unilever Finance Netherlands B.V.: advising the Issuer on its dual-tranche issuance of EUR650,000,000 1.750 per cent. Notes and EUR850,000,000 2.250 per cent. Notes.
Education and qualifications
Hugo (co-)authored a number of articles:
This article, which is co-authored by Hugo van der Molen and Tom van Steenbrugge’s was published in the Financial Law magazine.
“Sustainable Finance - The Rise of Sustainability-Linked Bonds (SLBs)”.