Restructuring and Insolvency Partner, London
“I have 10 years’ experience in complex cross-border insolvencies and restructurings. I bring sound risk assessment and commercial judgment in addition to in-depth knowledge of restructuring and insolvency law to help clients adopt the right strategy to resolve business-critical situations.”
Education and qualifications
Matt represents debtors, officeholders and stakeholders on a wide range of restructuring and insolvency matters, including corporate/financial restructurings, distressed M&A and formal insolvency.
Matt has a vast amount of experience of cross-border insolvency proceedings, including administrations, liquidations, schemes of arrangement, voluntary arrangements and personal bankruptcy. He has specialist knowledge of bank resolution having advised both regulators and financial institutions in relation to a number of significant global matters.
Matt regularly advises banks and financial institutions and has been involved in some of the most significant insolvencies of recent years, including playing a prominent role advising the administrators in the insolvency of Lehman Brothers International (Europe). He was seconded to Lehman Brothers between October 2013 and January 2015, firstly as a member of the in-house legal team and then working as the liaison between the respective Linklaters and PricewaterhouseCoopers teams, heading a team that was available to advise on ongoing issues.
- the joint administrators of Debenhams plc in relation to the disposal of the entities within the Debenhams Group of companies and issues arising in the administration
- the Innovation Group in relation to the restructuring of its secured debt and associated recapitilisation
- the senior secured lenders to BMI Hospitals, one of the largest private healthcare groups in the UK, on the enforcement of security as part of a group restructuring and recapitalisation
- the joint administrators of various Lehman Brothers entities, including advising the joint administrators of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) in relation to innovative solutions for the return of trust assets to counterparties and a scheme of arrangement for the satisfaction of creditor interest entitlements
- Arcadia / Taveta in relation to the high profile collapse of the Bhs department store chain, including the pensions settlement that kept the Bhs members out of the Pension Protection Fund
- the central bank of a foreign state regarding resolution action (including the use of a bail-in power) in relation to a systemically important financial institution
- the special purpose liquidator of OW Bunker Middle East DMCC in connection with the first liquidation of a Dubai multi-commodities centre entity
- the administrators of Game Group, the liquidators of Waterford Wedgewood UK and lenders in relation to the restructuring of Zim Integrated Shipping Services
Education and qualifications
Matt studied law at the University of Sheffield.