Banking Partner, London
“I specialise in leveraged and acquisition finance, principally acting for private equity funds, financial sponsors, investment banks and borrowers/issuers on market-leading, cross-border and incurrence-based debt financings. With extensive knowledge of market and product developments and transaction experience, I provide commercial and dynamic solutions, leadership and expertise to clients on their most complex debt financing transactions.”
Education and qualifications
Tom is a banking partner with significant expertise and experience in advising on and executing financial sponsor-backed leveraged acquisition finance transactions.
Tom acts for financial sponsors, private equity funds, investment banks and borrower/issuers on a range of domestic and cross-border financing transactions, including leveraged loans, incurrence-based and covenant-lite financings, high yield bonds, bridge facilities, unitranche, super senior facilities, refinancings and restructurings.
Tom has particular experience and expertise in covenant-lite, incurrence-based bank/bond documentation and capital structures which is at the forefront of the European leveraged finance market.
Tom is based in London and has worked at Linklaters for over 10 years.
Tom has advised on a wide range of debt financing transactions. These include advising:
- Bridgepoint on the unitranche financing for Care UK and on the super senior revolving and guarantee facilities and high-yield bond financing supporting its acquisition of Miller Homes
- Jacobs on the debt financing for the acquisition of Cognita Schools from KKR
- Apollo on the covenant-lite loan and bond financing supporting its buy-out of Verallia, and subsequent recapitalization, bolt-on and refinancing transactions
- Bridgepoint and Diaverum in relation to the covenant-lite first lien and second lien loan financings
- Triton on the high-yield bond financing and revolving credit facilities and for its acquisition of Bormioli Pharma
- the arrangers and underwriters on KKR’s acquisition of Travelopia
- the arrangers and underwriters on the covenant-lite loan financing for the acquisition of Doc Generici by CVC
- the company and Rhone Capital on the high-yield bonds, bridge facilities and super senior financing for Eden Springs
- the arrangers on the covenant-lite loan financing for the Top Right Group, owned by Apax
- the arrangers and underwriters on the covenant-lite senior facilities, bridge facilities and high-yield bonds financing Bain’s acquisition of Wittur and subsequent transactions
- CVC and the company on the covenant-lite loan facilities for the Delachaux Group
Tom regularly presents at Loan Market Association (LMA) events on the subject of leveraged finance documentation and terms; most recently on the topic of cash controls, covenants and covenant-lite/incurrence-based debt financing terms and the convergence between loan and bond products.
Tom was seconded to Alcentra for six months in 2011, where he was instrumental in the development of the collateralised loan obligation (CLO) cashless role mechanism.
Education and qualifications
Tom studied music at King’s College, University of Cambridge, and holds a Graduate Diploma in Law.