Antitrust & Foreign Investment Partner, Brussels
“I advise on all aspects of competition law, with particular expertise in international merger control. I provide technically assured, commercially geared advice, as well as innovative solutions, to enable clients to pursue their most important strategic business objectives.”
Based in the firm’s Brussels office and Italian law-qualified, Annamaria represents clients in competition investigations before the European Commission (EC), the Italian Antitrust Authority as well as regulatory authorities worldwide. She advises on global transactions as well as global cartel investigations. She regularly counsels clients on abuse of dominance issues.
Annamaria’s experience spans many sectors. Most recently she has worked extensively in financial services, telecommunications, information technology, private equity and healthcare.
In 2017, Annamaria was seconded for three months to a key client as acting general counsel for competition, providing strategic advice and leading a team of competition lawyers in a wide range of business-critical matters.
Annamaria has been a key advisor on many high-profile transactions and conduct investigations. Recent highlights include advising:
- an automotive parts supplier before the EC and on related damages claims, concerning what has been cited as the “largest cartel investigation in history”
- Novartis on its transformational restructuring involving three strategic deals with GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). This complex deal was cleared around the world and by the EC in Phase I following the acceptance of innovative remedies involving the ongoing clinical development of two products
- ENI on global merger control issues resulting from its US$2.8bn sale of its 25% stake in Mozambique liquefied natural gas project
- an investment bank in relation to the EC’s power cables investigation and subsequent appeal to the European Courts in relation to issues around parent company liability
- Intel Corporation on its US$17bn acquisition of Altera's field-programmable gate array technology
- an investment bank on its successful defence of a EC’s antitrust case involving credit default swaps
Annamaria regularly publishes and speaks at major industry conferences, in particular on the interplay between competition law and data.
- EU data protection programme at Privacy Laws & Business’ 27th Annual International Conference, Cambridge, UK, 2014.
- “No Free Lunch: Personal Data and Privacy in EU Competition Law”, Competition Law International, 2013, with Jonas Koponen
She speaks English, Italian and French.