Partner, Financial Regulation Group, London
"I specialise in financial services regulation and cover all types of regulatory issues, including structuring, licensing, conduct of business, governance and prudential regulation, for a wide range of clients. I aim to give clear, practical guidance, which cuts through the complexity of the underlying issues and provides clients with tangible solutions."
Education and qualifications
Alastair advises banks, insurers, broker-dealers and other financial services firms (as well as those seeking to invest in them) on applicable regulation, including in relation to:
- the regulatory licenses which firms need to provide their products and services in the UK and other countries;
- conduct of business, including the regulatory rules which firms need to comply with when designing and providing their products and services to clients, and when dealing in wholesale markets;
- governance, including the arrangements which firms need to have in place to control their business and regulatory risk, such as internal policies, systems and controls;
- prudential regulation, including identifying the rules that apply and their impact, group structuring, and how the PRA/FCA are likely to view certain arrangements; and
- fintech, including the regulatory characterisation of novel products and the regulatory rules which apply to these.
Alastair was recognised as a rising star by the Legal 500 directory for 2020. He is the author of the UK Chapter of “Banking Regulation 2021”, a global comparative guide which can be accessed here.
- Brexit: Advising a large US banking group on the impact of Brexit on its UK and European business.
- Ring-Fencing: Advising a UK banking group on its restructuring into separate “retail” and “markets” entities.
- Prudential regulation and structuring: Advising a large US group on its project to comply with the Intermediate Parent Undertaking (IPU) requirement under CRD V.
- Regulatory support on transactions: Advising on regulatory risks and filings relating to the acquisition or disposal of various financial services businesses, including in the insurance sector.
Alastair has completed secondments to Barclays and the Financial Structuring team within Linklaters. Prior to training as a lawyer, Alastair worked within the Compliance function of large asset management firm.
Alastair regularly presents on a wide range of topics, including regulatory change.