Partner, Head of Latin American Arbitration, Washington, D.C.
Education and qualifications
Member of the Paris Bar
Member of the Buenos Aires Bar
Special Legal Consultant in Washington DC
Christian has acted as counsel and arbitrator in some of the most complex international arbitrations in Latin America (ICC, ICSID, LCIA, PCA, AAA, UNCITRAL, Lima Chamber of Commerce, AMCHAM Peru, Bogota Chamber of Commerce, DAB proceedings). He also advises clients regularly in compliance investigations or other major crisis.
Christian draws on his prior experience at the ICC International Court of Arbitration where, in his position as Managing Counsel, he supervised the nine case management teams of the ICC Secretariat to ensure uniformity of practices and decisions of the Court. He previously held the position of Counsel in charge of the Latin America, Spain and Portugal case management team where he oversaw hundreds of cases pending under the ICC Rules from filing through scrutiny and notification of awards.
Christian is recognised by Chambers & Partners in the category of International Counsel in International Arbitration for Latin America-wide. He is also recognized as a “Recommended Global Leader” by Who’s Who Legal Arbitration 2022 and has been consistently recognised as one of the “most highly regarded individuals” in international arbitration under 45, in the Who’s Who Legal Arbitration – Future Leaders 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
- Counsel for a French company in an ICC arbitration and related state court proceedings against a subcontractor in relation to the construction of an LNG terminal in Uruguay.
- Counsel for a Chilean company in an ICC Emergency Arbitration and two ICC arbitrations under New York law brought by international engineering companies in relation to an EPC Contract for a power plant in Chile.
- Counsel for an Asian bank in an ICC arbitration related to a post-acquisition dispute in Brazil.
- Counsel for the Owner of a hydroelectric power project in Chile in an ICC arbitration against the contractor in charge of the tunnelling and civil works.
- Counsel for the Owner of a photovoltaic plant in Mexico in a Dispute Adjudication Board process for claims related to extensions of time, variation orders and force majeure claims.
- Counsel for a Spanish company in three related arbitrations under the Lima Chamber of Commerce and UNCITRAL Rules against its partners in a joint venture in Latin America.
- Counsel for a UK insurance company in an arbitration relative to a services agreement before the Bogota Chamber of Commerce.
- Counsel for a French company in a dispute with its contractor in relation to the construction of a pulverized coal-fired complex in the northern Antofagasta region.
- Counsel for a major oil company in a USD 24 billion UNCITRAL arbitration in Stockholm against two Regions of the Russian Federation relating to an agreement for oil exploration in Russia dating from the early 1990s
- Counsel for a Spanish company in an ICC arbitration in relation to the construction and equipping of plant for enrichment of iron ore magnetite in North Africa.
- Counsel for European insurance companies in an ICC arbitration and parallel proceedings before state courts filed by an Eastern European company over the alleged unlawful termination of a SPA.
- Counsel for a European company in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State related to the termination of the concession for the construction of a major pipeline in Latin America.
- Counsel for a European company in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State related to certain measures restricting our client’s rights to transfer dividends abroad.
- Counsel for a European company in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American State in a claim for denial of justice and breach of fair and equitable treatment.
- Counsel for an Asian State in an ICSID annulment proceeding, against two global mining companies.
- Counsel for a Latin American State in a PCA arbitration against a Spanish company relative to a bus leasing agreement.
- Counsel for a European company in an investment dispute against a Latin American State in relation to the breach of an umbrella clause and fair and equitable treatment provision.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a shipyard in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a toll road in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to a services agreement for the operation of an airport in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to the sale of a bank in Africa.
- Arbitrator in an ICC arbitration related to a management contract in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration related to a mining dispute in Africa.
- Arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration related to a mining dispute in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration related to a dispute regarding the provision of coal transportation and storage services in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration related to a dispute about the construction of a power plant in Latin America.
- Arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration related to the construction of an airport in Latin America.
Compliance and investigations
- Counsel for a leading construction company related to an internal investigation in the context of the “Notebook” investigations in Argentina.
- Counsel for a construction company in relation to an IDB investigation related to certain compliance issues in two projects financed by the IDB in Brazil.
- Counsel for a construction company in relation to an IDB investigation related to certain compliance issues in a project financed by the IDB in Brazil.
- Counsel for an insurance company in relation to an internal investigation related to certain compliance issues in Ecuador.
- Counsel for a construction company in relation to an internal investigation related to certain compliance issues in Peru.
Christian is a Partner and Head of Latin America Arbitration for Linklaters in Washington D.C. Prior to joining Linklaters, Christian worked with the ICC International Court of Arbitration in Paris in various capacities, including Managing Counsel 2013-2014; Counsel, 2011-2013; Deputy Counsel from 2007-2010. Christian began his career as an Associate with Marval O’Farrell & Mairal, Buenos Aires, from 2004-2006.
Education and qualifications
Christian holds an LL.M. in French and European Law from University Paris 1 (Panthéon-Sorbonne). He obtained a Degree in Russian Language from the State Pushkin Institute of Russian Language (Moscow), with a full scholarship from the Russian Ministry of Education. Christian holds a law degree, specializing in International Public Law, from the University of Buenos Aires (UBA) (top 95th percentile).
Christian is an Editor of the ICC Bulletin, an Executive Board Member of the Latin American Arbitration Association (ALArb), and a member of the ICC Latin American Group, the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, the LCIA Users’ Council for Latin America, and the International Council for International Arbitration (ICCA).
Christian is also fluent in Spanish, French, Russian, and Portuguese.
Christian has published articles dealing with various topics of international arbitration and has also spoken at more than 90 conferences and seminars in this field. A selection of articles includes:
- The Equal Representation in Arbitration Pledge Over the Years: The Campaign for Gender Diversity in Arbitral Tribunals Continues (upcoming ICC publication)
- Unmeritorious challenges, is it time to say enough? 40 under 40, International Arbitration, Kluwer Arbitration, April 2018)
- Advances in International Commercial Arbitration in Latin America during John Beechey’s Presidency of the ICC Court, John Beechey’s liber amicorum (ICC Publication, November 2015)
- Dealing with corruption in arbitration: a review of ICC experience (ICC Bulletin vol. 24/supplement 2013)
- Consolidation, Joinder, Cross-Claims, Multiparty and Multicontract Arbitrations: Recent ICC Experience, Dossier VII - ICC Institute of World Business Law (2010)