Investment Funds Partner, London
"I advise on the structuring, management and operation of private investment funds, with a particular focus on real estate, private equity, credit and hedge funds. I want our clients to receive truly excellent service as well as excellent legal advice."
Education and qualifications
Matt is a Partner in Linklaters’ Investment Funds practice and acts for a range of leading sponsors and institutional cornerstone investors.
His experience covers the structuring and management of funds and managed accounts investing in illiquid assets, particularly in real estate, private equity, infrastructure and credit. He also has experience in private equity style joint ventures, fund finance, asset management M&A and secondary disposal of fund interests.
Matt’s investor practice covers a range private funds spectrum including private equity, (large cap, buyout, venture and growth), real estate (core, value-add and opportunistic), debt (direct lending, mezzanine and special situations), infrastructure and natural resources.
He is ranked in Chambers and Legal 500, and quoted as clients saying: "He goes the extra mile, is highly responsive, immensely knowledgeable and a pleasure to deal with."
Matt has led on a wide range of complex investment fund transactions. These include advising:
- Macquarie Group: advising on a number of infrastructure debt funds including two UK infrastructure debt funds, a global infrastructure debt fund and a global credit opportunities fund.
- Blackrock: advising on its three most recent European and Asian real estate funds and open-ended core Pan European real estate fund.
- Alcentra: advising the European leader in leveraged loans on the establishment of the Alcentra Special Situations Fund.
- Morgan Stanley: advising on its European credit fund.
- Investor practice: advising a range of international investors including ADIA, AIMCo, Alecta, AXA, PSP Investments, QIA, USS and SGRF on their cornerstone investments into a range of private funds.