Banking Partner, London
“I have over 10 years’ experience in real estate finance, and have worked on a wide range of property transactions throughout the UK and Europe, both lender-side (representing senior and mezzanine lenders) and sponsor-side. My practice is underpinned by a deep market knowledge and highly commercial approach.”
Education and qualifications
Phil specialises in real estate finance, with a particular focus on development and highly-levered, structured transactions.
Phil advises lenders (including banks and funds) and borrowers on all types of UK and cross-border real estate finance transactions, and has acted on highly complex, structured portfolio financings and restructurings. Phil spent a year on secondment at M&G Investments in 2016 sitting with the Real Estate Finance team.
Phil has been the lead advisor for his clients on a number of major transactions, including:
- A sovereign fund: advising the junior lender in respect of a €385m mezzanine financing for the acquisition of a large portfolio of Spanish residential properties.
- Permodalan Nasional Berhad and Employees Provident Fund (Malaysia): advising the sponsors on the £1.1bn ‘phase 2’ development financing of the iconic Battersea Power Station.
- M&G: advising the lenders in relation to a £297m (senior and mezzanine) investment and acquisition facility secured on a portfolio of properties in Mayfair.
- A large superannuation fund: advising on the £280m construction financing of the One Crown Place development in the City of London.
- Steinhoff: advising the company in relation to the distressed restructuring of its propco group financing.
- A syndicate of UK Banks: advising a syndicate of lenders on a £600m financing for a major department store.
- Wells Fargo: advising on a £106m development financing facility for the construction of six student accommodation halls throughout the UK for a major student accommodation provider.