Real Estate Partner, Madrid
"I have advised in numerous real estate transactions of diverse nature, including investment and divestment of real estate companies or assets, sale and lease-back, joint venture, asset management agreements, forward funding and forward purchase and leases. I am very determined, and I get deals done."
Education and qualifications
Gabriel has participated in numerous real estate transactions of diverse nature, including financing, restructuring (both corporate and financial), investment and divestment of real estate assets, sale and lease-back, leases and works contracts.
He also has experience advising large international real estate funds on the acquisition of portfolios of both repossessed properties and non-performing loans and drafting and negotiation of servicing agreements for repossessed properties and performing (under the scope of developers’ support plans) and non-performing loans.
He has extensive experience in urban planning and asset management, including negotiation and drafting of lease agreements, construction agreements, administrative proceedings for the granting of construction permits, etc. related to shopping centres, office buildings, logistical warehouses and hotels.
According to Chambers, Gabriel has “the character you need to lead complex negotiations.” Clients praise his ability to "analyse situations and propose strategic responses". Clients also say that “he is tenacious, persistent and doesn't leave any loose ends" and that he is a “flexible and innovative lawyer who is good at drafting, but also incredibly commercial”.
- Ares: advising on the awarding of two concession agreements (Plan Vive) for developing c. 3,600 build-to-rent homes in Madrid.
- Marathon: advising on the acquisition of several NPL Portfolios.
- Nuveen and Kronos: advising on the JV to develop €1bn worth of build-to-rent homes in different Spanish regions.
- EQT Exeter: advising on a joint venture to create a portfolio of student accommodation facilities in Spain.
- Altadis: advising on the sale of the Tobacco Factory, an emblematic building in Seville for the development of a hotel, office and residential luxury scheme, to KKH.
- WP Carey: advising on the sale & leaseback of a portfolio of 70 buildings from the Andalusian Regional Government.
Over the last few years, Gabriel has advised a wide variety of companies, both national and international, such as: Ares, Nuveen, Kronos, EQT, Merlin Properti2es SOCIMI, Universidad Europea de Madrid, WP Carey, Intu Properties, DK Partners and many more
Among others, he has advised:
- Merlin Properties SOCIMI: advising on the sale of a portfolio of two logistics properties in Barcelona to GreenOak; and three logistics properties in Madrid and Zaragoza (Spain) to Clarion Partners
- Cofinimmo: advising on the acquisition of two funds owning 6 nursing and care homes in Northern Italy and two companies owning a portfolio of 18 nursing and care homes in Spain
- PSP Investments and Drago Capital: advising on the sale of Castellana 200 to Allianz Real Estate
- BlackRock: advising on the acquisition of student housing facilities
- UBS: advising an Asian family office on the acquisition of an office building in Barcelona known as “Torre Tarragona”, an office building located at the financial district of Barcelona, and on the subsequent sale to Blackstone
- Cerberus: advising on (i) the acquisition of Project Marina (including 80% of BBVA’s Real Estate business), (ii) the acquisition of Project Challenger and Coliseum (the whole of Banco Sabadell’s Real Estate business. The property assets in the transaction have a combined gross book value of approximately €9.1bn), (iii) the acquisition of Project Agora and Project Egeo, two non-performing loan portfolios from CaixaBank
Education and qualifications
- Law Degree – Autónoma University of Madrid
- Political Sciences Degree – Autónoma University of Madrid
- Planning Law Master – Alcalá de Henares University
- Master of Advanced Studies – Complutense University of Madrid