Hwang Hwa Sim
Partner, Global Head of Capital Markets, Hong Kong SAR
“I have extensive experience in advising on, and am a market leader in the development of, the full spectrum of complex, innovative capital markets transactions, fund-raisings and investments across Asia. I bring a commercial understanding and international perspective to help clients achieve their key business objectives.”
Education and qualifications
Hwang Hwa advises issuers, underwriters and investors on the full range of debt, equity and equity-linked products in China and the Asian region. He is particularly noted for his market-leading expertise in convertible bonds and exchangeable bonds (in particular, cross-border H-share convertible bonds and H-share exchangeable bonds), cross-border bond issuances by major PRC companies (including structured bonds), panda bonds, green bonds and structured pre-IPO investments.
Hwang Hwa has also worked on a number of proprietary investments in the Greater China region by alternative capital providers, global investment banks, special situations groups, hedge funds and private equity funds.
Hwang Hwa is a member of the firm’s Partnership Election Committee and its People Committee, emphasising the firm’s desire to develop exceptional people by empowering our teams to work and think differently.
Hwang Hwa has led on many of the market’s most significant capital markets deals. These include advising on:
- the Cheung Kong Properties fixed-for-life perpetual bonds and the Cheung Kong Infrastructure perpetual bonds
- the Agricultural Bank of China RMB5bn green bonds, the first and largest green bond from a Chinese bank
- cross-border bond issuances by the Tsinghua Holdings group, which serve as the platform and incubator for the commercialisation of the technological expertise and research developments of Tsinghua University, a prestigious university in China
- cross-border bond issuances by major China state-owned entities, including the Beijing Enterprises group, Shougang Corporation, Baosteel Corporation, Guangdong Hengjian and the Yue Xiu group
- the Maybank panda bonds, the first panda bonds to utilise Bond Connect, a mutual market access scheme that allows investors from mainland China and overseas to trade in each other’s respective bond markets
- the National Bank of Canada panda bonds, the first panda bond issuance by a North American company
- the Standard Chartered Bank special drawings rights panda bonds, the only SDR panda bonds worldwide
- the Baosteel Corporation exchangeable bonds, a worldwide first for a new asset class from China
- the China Yangtze Power Co. exchangeable bonds, the first exchangeable bond worldwide dual tranche in U.S. Dollars and Euros and exchangeable into H-shares
- the CRRC Corporation H-shares convertible bonds, the largest H-shares equity-linked deal from China
- the Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation combo trade, the largest combined equity and equity-linked transaction in Hong Kong
Hwang Hwa is a member of the Legal Experts Working Group for China’s National Association of Financial Market Institutional Investors (NAFMII).
Education and qualifications
Hwang Hwa studied law at the University of Birmingham and is a Barrister-at-Law from Lincoln’s Inn.
He is fluent in English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Fujianese, Bahasa Indonesia and Malay.