Manuel de Abreu Castelo Branco
Dispute Resolution Counsel, Lisbon
“I consider myself a multi-task lawyer in the sense that in tackling all angles, covering different areas of law, I enjoy working closely in multi-practice teams in the application of the Law to the case, to help clients, that come to us when involved in complex and high-profile disputes, to overcome their difficulties.”
Education and qualifications
His practice has focused on civil and commercial litigation, in particular advising companies on a wide range of commercial disputes including shareholding, M&A and banking disputes. He has also been involved in multi-jurisdictional asset tracing cases.
Manuel furthermore advises clients in criminal and regulatory litigation matters, including business crime matters and antitrust investigations. He also assists clients with compliance work, such as anti-corruption and anti-money laundering issues.
- Advising in the financial restructuring resolution of a major Portuguese bank involving the incorporation of the first “bridge” bank under Portuguese law and the first resolution measure adopted in the EU
- Advising a financial institution in the restructuring of a relevant player in the Portuguese petrochemical industry
- Advising financial institutions in cross-border asset-tracing litigation against relevant clients
- Advising an international hedge-fund in relation to a market abuse investigation conducted in Portugal and the United Kingdom
- Advising a financial institution and an insurance company in anti-trust investigations conducted by the Portuguese Competition Authority.
- Advising a professional services firm in a cross-border internal investigation in the context of a SEC investigation.
In 2007 Manuel joined Linklaters as Trainee in the Lisbon office, where was promoted to Associate in 2008, to Managing Associate in 2015, and to Counsel in 2021 at the Dispute Resolution department.
He furthermore gained experience during a secondment at Webber Wentzel in Johannesburg, South Africa, in 2017 in the Commercial Litigation department, dealing with cross-border restructuring cases.
Manuel acted as speaker at conferences on arbitration, litigation and corporate law matters.
Education and qualifications
He is Vice-President of the ICC Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anti-corruption of ICC Portugal. Furthermore, Manuel is a Member of APA - the Portuguese Arbitration Association, and of Forum Penal - the Portuguese Association for Criminal Law Lawyers.
Manuel is a published author and a selection of his publications is shown here:
- Legal Privilege and Professional secrecy, publication date: May 2018 publication description: Getting the Deal Through (co-Author: Raquel Galvão Silva)
- Banking Litigation (Portugal) publication date: Sep 2017 and Sep 2018; publication description: The Banking Litigation Law Review - Edition 1 and 2 (co-Author Nuno Ferreira Lousa)
- Providências cautelares decretadas pelo tribunal arbitral publication date: Mar 2014 publication description: Laboratório de Resolução Alternativa de Litígios - Universidade Nova de Lisboa