Associate, São Paulo
I am a corporate lawyer with extensive experience on complex M&A transactions. I aim to provide clients with sound and efficient advice, tailored to their commercial and strategic needs.
Education and qualifications
Marcelo focuses his practice on M&A, banking and capital markets transactions, advising clients of multiple industries on M&A transactions, project finance and complex corporate transactions. Marcelo holds a law degree (2010) and a master’s degree (2015, corporate law) from the University of São Paulo, Brazil, and has taken part in a one-year program at the University of Munich, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, studying German and European Law (German Academic Exchange Agency – DAAD – Scholarship). He has also received an LL.M. degree from Columbia Law School, where he was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar.
His recent experience includes advising:
- Owens-Illinois Group on the acquisition of strategic participation in Central America
- Marfrig Group on the US$2.5bn sale of Keystone Foods to Tyson Food
- Smurfit Kappa Group on the acquisition of INPA and Paema groups in the amount of approximately BRL800m
- International Finance Corporation – IFC on an investment via Emerging Enterprise Mutual Investment Fund (FMIEE – Fundo Mútuo de Investimento em Empresas Emergentes)
- Hoshizaki Group on the acquisition of a stake in Aços Macom, in Brazil
- Oaktree Capital Management on investment in a Brazilian logistic player
Prior to joining the firm, Marcelo worked as a corporate associate at Veirano Advogados, in Brazil, and took part in the Exchange Program developed by the Brazilian Administrative Council for Economic Defense (CADE), assisting the former president of the entity, Dr. Elizabeth Mª M. Q. Farina.
Marcelo is a member of the Special Committee of Capital Markets and Corporate Governance of the Brazilian Bar Association (OAB), São Paulo Chapter.
Marcelo writes on corporate law and capital markets issues, and his publications include:
- “Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All”, electronically published by the World Bank Group, 2017 (as co-author)
- “Legal Forms in Major Jurisdictions – Third Edition - 2016”, published by Luther Rechtsanwaltgesellschaft mbH, 2016 (as co-author)
- “A Aquisição de Controle de Companhias com Capital Disperso: A Oferta Pública de Aquisição de Controle e os Casos Sadia-Perdigão e GVT-Vivendi” (The Acquisition of Control in Companies with Dispersed Capital: The Control Acquisition Offer and the Sadia-Perdigão and GVT-Vivendi Cases), published by Quartier Latin, 2014 (as co-author)
Education and qualifications
Marcelo studied law at the University of São Paulo (USP), including an exchange year with the University of Munich (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, and obtained a Master’s in Corporate Law by USP and an LL.M. degree by Columbia Law School (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar).
He speaks English, German, Portuguese and Spanish.