Partner and Co-Head of Energy & Infrastructure in the Americas, New York
"I advise lenders, sponsors, private investment funds and developers, on all phases of the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects, as well as matters related to the acquisition and disposition of these projects."
Education and qualifications
Ron Erlichman focuses his practice on all phases of the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects, including renewable energy projects, thermal power generational facilities, transmission facilities, chemical and petrochemical facilities, terminals, transportation projects, hospitality and social infrastructure projects and sports and entertainment venues. Ron also advises on matters related to the acquisition and disposition of these projects and various interests therein, including tax equity investment in renewable projects. His clients include lenders, sponsors, private investment funds and developers.
Power – Renewables
- Sponsor in connection with an approximately 272 MW solar power generation “shovel-ready” development project located in ERCOT near Houston, Texas.
- Sponsor in connection with the acquisition, development and financing, including construction and term financing of fully merchant approximately 140 MW solar power generation facility in ERCOT near Houston, Texas.
- Sponsor in connection with a revolving development loan facility to fund an approximately 6 GW renewable development pipeline.
- Lenders in connection with the construction loan and post-construction senior secured letter of credit facility for an approximately 260 MW wind power generation facility in ERCOT near the panhandle containing both an energy and basis hedge.
- Investor in connection with the tax equity investment in a C&I wind project.
- Unregulated subsidiary of one of the country’s largest public utilities in the acquisition of four wind power generation facilities located in the Southern United States totaling US$1.5 billion in acquisition cost and approximately 832 MW of generation capacity.
- Sponsor in connection with the sale of an approximately 255 MW solar power generation facility under development in ERCOT in West Texas.
- Lender in connection with the bridge construction loan for the second largest solar project in NYISO located on a former public golf course in Long Island, New York.
Power – Thermal
- Sponsor in a bespoke project financing for the construction and operation of a portfolio of distributed microgrids consisting of ultra-clean natural gas-fired generators in ERCOT with up to 232 MW of generating capacity.
- Sponsor and South Field Energy LLC in the approximately US$1.3 billion project financing and equity arrangements for the construction of the South Field Energy project, a 1,182 MW combined-cycle natural gas electric generating facility located in PJM and near Wellsville, Ohio.
- Lender in connection with the financing of a 121 MW dual-fueled, CCGT facility located in Florida with an expiring tolling agreement.
- Sponsor in connection with pre-development advice, including project financing considerations, with respect to an approximately 1,000 MW greenfield natural gas combined-cycle generation facility in PJM near Chicago.
- Fintech company in connection with providing development funding for global carbon sequestration projects to secure the carbon credits generated from such projects.
- Private investment fund in the acquisition of North America’s largest biosolids management company.
- Consortium and operator in connection with bidding for the right to operate and maintain the district energy assets at two different U.S. public universities pursuant to a P3 procurement.
- Publicly traded bitcoin company in its acquisition of the largest Bitcoin mining hosting facility in North America.
- Private Investment Fund in connection with a concession arrangement for the operation and maintenance of university district energy system located in Illinois.
- New Orleans Exhibition Hall Authority in connection with a P3 for the development of an approximately US$557 million, 1,200-room convention center headquarters hotel.
- San Antonio Spurs in connection with the US$100 million modernization of AT&T Center and the acquisition of lease and development rights for Toyota Field and the STAR Soccer Complex, the home and practice facility respectively for the San Antonio FC.
- City of San Antonio, Texas in connection with the US$263 million P3 for the development, construction, lease and operation of the Grand Hyatt Convention Center Hotel on the Riverwalk in San Antonio, Texas, including a subsequent condominiumization and recapitalization of the project.
- Kinder Foundation in connection with the US$215 million P3 for the development and financing of the Bayou Greenways 2020 project to create an interconnected park and trail system along each of the 10 bayous located in Houston, Texas, including the structuring of a synthetic tax increment reinvestment zone (TIRZ) financing mechanism.
*Some of the above matters were handled by Ron prior to joining Linklaters
Ron served on Law360’s Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board in 2018 and 2019.
Ron is recommended by The Legal 500 United States in Project Finance: Advice to Lender (2017 – 2019), Project Finance: Advice to Sponsor (2017 – 2019), Energy: Renewable/Alternative Power (2018 – 2019) and Energy Transactions: Conventional Power (2018). He was noted for his cross-border work in Projects, Energy and Natural Resources: Power in the 2017 edition of The Legal 500 United Kingdom and has also been recognized in the 2018 and 2019 editions of the IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate Guide. In 2018, Ron received the Law360 MVP award in Project Finance. Prior to joining Linklaters, Ron was a partner and co-chair of the project finance group at another global law firm.