Diversity & Inclusion
Why Diversity and Inclusion are important to our firm
Being a leader in Diversity and Inclusion is an integral part of our strategy and vision. As a responsible business, it is important that we represent the diversity of our people, our clients and our communities. We know that diversity makes us a better law firm and helps us attract the best talent, drive innovation with diversity of thought, and deliver the best experience to everyone who comes into contact with us.
Our approach to Diversity and Inclusion
To achieve our ambitions, we strive to:
- Celebrate diversity and inclusion globally across the firm
- Create a culture of inclusion, underpinned by our values and behaviours
- Build awareness globally through Unconscious Bias and Inclusive Leadership training
- Demonstrate strong leadership and accountability, regularly reviewing progress at Executive Committee, the Partnership Board and all leadership meetings
- Tackle any unconscious bias in the recruitment, retention and progression of diverse talent, with a specific focus on our five priority areas:
- Social Mobility
- Work in partnership with our clients and communities as part of our contribution to the wider society in which we operate
Apply for the firm
If you are considering applying for a role with us but you would like to talk to someone from the firm about an aspect of diversity which is important to you, please do get in touch. In addition, if you have a disability that requires reasonable adjustments to be made as part of the selection process please do provide the recruitment team with more information so we can make the changes you require.
Achievements so far
- Stewart Chippindale (COO, Asia) was awarded the Community Business LGBT+ Executive Sponsor Award. The award is a true recognition of Stewart’s exceptional dedication and accomplishments in promoting LGBT+ inclusion within the firm across the Asia region.
- We are pleased to have achieved 42% women on our Executive Committee, 23% women on our Partnership Board, and 43% women in our Director group.
- We delivered 70+ Unconscious Bias training sessions globally across the firm and to our clients.
- We are delighted to have been named in The Times’ list of Top Employers for Women for the fifth year running.
- We are a founding member of Open for Business, a coalition of leading global organisations making the business and economic case for LGB&T inclusion.
- We created the award-winning global Women’s Leadership Programme (WLP) which has helped us create a sustainable pipeline of female talent for Partner and Counsel roles. To date, we have run seven of these programmes with 11 new Partners and 24 new Counsel as WLP alumni.
- Claudia Parzani (Managing Partner, Western Europe) was named one of top ten ‘Financial Times and HERoes’ global champions of women in business. The awards celebrate the men and women making fantastic strides to create greater gender diversity in the workplace.
- Paulette Mastin (Counsel, London) was awarded Outstanding Woman in Professional Services at the 2017 ‘Precious’ Awards. The Awards which were created to recognise the achievements of women of colour in the business and work environment.
- We are proud to be named as one of Stonewall’s Top 100 Employers for LGB&T people in the UK.
- We received the Gold Award in Japan’s first LGB&T Pride Index and Silver Standard in Hong Kong’s LGB&T+ Index.
- We were the first organisation to successfully achieve certification against the UK National Equality Standard (NES), which followed a comprehensive quality review of the firm's policies and practices via a series of on-site interviews and document analysis. We were also recognised for the outstanding work we do globally to raise awareness of the value and importance of diversity and inclusion.
- We ranked #20 in the UK’s first Social Mobility Index, in recognition of our work to access and progress talent from all socioeconomic backgrounds.
We have launched ‘YourLink’ in Germany, an innovative approach to career paths that offers more reliable and defined working hours.
- We were the first law firm to use crowd-sourcing technology to harness the ‘diversity of thought’ that exists in our organisation, through our award-winning event, The Jam. The event gave everyone in our firm the chance to talk about work-life balance, and to generate ideas and solutions on topics such as flexible working, work allocation and recognition and appreciation.
- We celebrate Global Diversity Week annually across our network, which is a chance for all our people around the world to celebrate diversity in all its forms and to understand the importance of inclusion in the workplace.
While we are proud of what we have achieved in recent years, we know that there is more to be done. We must continue to build on our achievements, to meet, and hopefully exceed, the ambitious objectives we have set ourselves.