Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations Partner, Madrid
"I have always considered defending clients from litigation as a big responsibility, which requires refined procedural skills, excellent knowledge of rules of procedure and experience. Also necessary are the ability to gain a comprehensive understanding of clients’ businesses and sensitivities and the impact that potential and actual litigation and different defence strategies may have."
Education and qualifications
Alex Ferreres joined Linklaters as a partner in the Litigation, Arbitration & Investigations practice in January 2023.
Before joining Linklaters, he was a partner at Uría Menéndez, based in their Barcelona office, where he was the Dispute Resolution practice head. He joined Uría Menéndez in 1997, following his first five years of practice at a local firm, and became a partner in 2006.
His practice’s areas of focus are commercial litigation, with longstanding experience in defending contractual liability and tort law claims, including collective redress actions. Alex’s experience includes coordinating the defence in collective action in an international setting. He built his collective redress practice on the back of major product liability and consumer cases, and has expanded his practice to damages claims arising from antitrust cases in recent years.
- Defending product liability cases for various pharma companies and medical device producers, for car manufacturers and various consumer goods producers.
- Defending a major tobacco company from individual damages claims, from a Spanish regional health authority’s reimbursement action and from various collective actions by associations of patients with laryngectomies.
- Defending financial institutions from individual and collective claims related to securities litigation.
- Defending a class action filed by a Spanish consumer association against a major bank, related to the alleged invalidity of interest swap agreements with over 11,000 clients and related compensation claims (an estimated €120M involved).
- Defending a class action filed by a Spanish consumer association against a major internet platform, related to the alleged infringement of consumer and data protection regulations and a class compensation petition (an estimated €5 billion involved)
- Defending truck and car manufacturers and milk producers from various individual and aggregated follow-on and stand-alone damages claims arising from antitrust cases.
Education and qualifications
Alex has authored many articles in the press and academic publications. To cite a few:
- “Las Acciones de clase (Class Actions) en la Ley de Enjuiciamiento Civil” - Actualidad Jurídica Uría Menéndez, núm. 11 (mayo-agosto 2005)
- “Las limitaciones del sistema de tutela colectiva de intereses individuales homogéneos dispuesto en nuestra ley de enjuiciamiento civil. Una propuesta inicial de sistemas alternativos de resolución de conflictos” – Actualidad Jurídica Uría Menéndez, núm. 33 (Número Extraordinario, 2012 )
- “Algunas pautas para regular adecuadamente las acciones colectivas” – Actualidad Jurídica Uría Menéndez, núm. 45 (enero-mayo 2017)
- “The Class Actions Law Review: Spain (2017 to 2022 Editions), The Law Reviews, Law Business Research
- International Product Liability Law, Chapter for Spain, Aspatore Books (2003)
- The Product Regulation and Liability Review (2014 to 2022 Editions), The Law Reviews, Law Business Research
- “Product Liability and Safety in Spain: overview”, Practical Law, Thomson Reuters (2021 and 2022 Editions)
- “Memento experto. La prueba en el proceso civil” – Francis Lefebvre, 2019
- La Prueba en Acción. Estrategias Procesales en Materia de Prueba: ¿Qué documentos aporto y cuáles no?, Editorial J.M. Bosch 2019
- “La Directiva de acciones de representación y el futuro de la litigación colectiva de las indemnizaciones en España”, Manual de Derecho Para Ingenieros -Capítulo III, Derecho Procesal- La Ley, noviembre de 2022.