There are many commercial drivers behind entering into a joint venture. We have helped our clients break into new markets and jurisdictions, provided them with a means to access greater resource, enabled them to share operation costs and more. Whatever the reason for choosing to pursue a joint venture, our lawyers ensure that our clients’ legal and commercial interests are protected and their risks mitigated.
It takes more than just understanding the legal issues to seamlessly execute a joint venture transaction. All of our advice is underpinned by commercial acumen and a thorough knowledge of our clients’ markets. Our lawyers are experts in doing deals across a wide range of sectors.
Our corporate practice is supported by global teams of market-leading tax, real estate, employment and incentives, pensions, anti-trust/competition, regulatory and litigation experts as well as teams offering the full range of finance support including all aspects of banking, capital markets and restructuring transactions.
Recent joint venture experience includes advising:
- Duratex S.A. on the USD 1bn execution of a joint venture agreement with Austria's Lenzing AG (the world's leading producer of cellulose fibers)
- Schneider Electric Industries SAS on the USD 2.1bn joint venture with Temasek Holdings to acquire Larsen & Toubro's Electrical & Automation business
- Glencore Group Funding Limited and Glencore International AG on their USD 775.2m sale of a 51% stake in its petroleum products storage and logistics business
- LetterOne Holdings S.A. on the business combination between DEA Deutsche Erdoel and Wintershall - among the largest potential M&A transactions in 2017, both in Germany and in the Energy Sector globally
- China Merchants Port Holdings Company on the USD 1.12bn concession agreement in relation to the development, management and operation of the Hambantota Port in Sri Lanka
- Rosneft Oil Company on the USD 1.1bn sale of 20% of ordinary shares in PJSC Verkhnechonskneftegaz to Beijing Gas Singapore Private Limited
- BNP Paribas S.A. and BNP Paribas Personal Finance on the EUR 900m acquisition of Opel/Vauxhall’s captive financing activities
- Glencore on the sale of a 40% stake in its agricultural business to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board for USD 2.5bn and a 9.99% stake to British Columbia investment Management Corporation for USD 624.9m
- Nestlé on its joint venture with UK ice cream company R&R
- Long-term Investments, one of the shareholders of Pirelli, in ChemChina’s EUR 7.1bn acquisition of Pirelli
- Qatar Holding L.L.C., an affiliate of the Qatar Investment Authority, along with funds under management by BlackRock, Macquarie, Teacher Retirement System of Texas and Certares on the USD 1.8bn acquisition of a 50% stake in American Express' Global Business Travel unit
- China Exchanges Services Company Limited on the HKD 300m pioneering Joint Venture among Hong Kong Stock Exchange, Shanghai Stock Exchange and Shenzhen Stock Exchange
- GdF Suez on the joint venture with Mitsui, Mitsubishi and Sempra for the USD 10bn Cameroon LNG liquefaction project
- Türk Telekomünikasyon A.S. on the entry into the German mobile market through a co-operation with Telefonica Germany